Departments, Centers, & Programs:
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Flaherty's research focuses on the control of voluntary action and on how our brains represent our bodies. Disorders of these system drive suffering in depression, Parkinson's, and somatic symptom disorders.
- Flaherty AW. Homeostasis and the control of creative drive. In R. E. Jung & O. Vartanian (Eds.), The Cambridge handbook of the neuroscience of creativity. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2018
- Brain illness and creativity: mechanisms and treatment risks. Flaherty AW. Canadian J Psychiatry. 2011 Mar;56(3):132-43. PMID: 21443820
- VIM thalamic stimulation for monoclonal gammopathy-associated tremor. Shields DC, Flaherty AW, Eskandar EN, Williams ZM. Neurosurgery. 2011 Feb 9. PMID: 21311371
- Flaherty AW. Frontotemporal and dopaminergic control of idea generation and creative drive. J Comparative Neurology, 2005;493(1):147-53
- Flaherty AW. The Midnight Disease: The Drive to Write, Writer’s Block, and the Creative Brain. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin; 2004.