Julianne Stoughton, MD
Julianne Stoughton, MD
Assistant Professor Harvard Medical School
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-8278
Stoneham, MAPhone: 781-438-8117
About Julianne Stoughton, MD
Julianne Stoughton, MD, is a board-certified vascular surgeon at the Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital, the medical director of the Venous Program and director of the Vein Care Center. She is an assistant professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. Her clinical interests focus on venous disease (e.g., pelvic veins, superficial veins, venous malformations, lymphedema and spider veins) and venous ablation.
Dr. Stoughton obtained her medical degree from Brown University Medical School. She then completed a general surgery residency and vascular surgery fellowship at the University of Rochester. She is board-certified in general and vascular surgery, and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Her research activity consists of clinical studies to improve the treatment and management of superficial venous disease and venous leg ulcers, and outcomes research on pelvic vein disorders.
Dr. Stoughton has been a speaker, moderator and course director for many national and international meetings including the Harvard Vascular Surgery courses, the American Venous Forum annual meetings, the American College of Phlebology and American Vein and Lymphatic Society annual meetings, the International Union of Phlebology, the Society of Vascular Surgeons, the Eastern Vascular Surgical Society, the Vascular Surgery Congress in Sao Paulo Brazil, the French Phlebology Society in Paris and more.
She is a member of numerous local and national committees. She was the co-chair of the 2012 American College of Phlebology Annual Congress, and she was the course director for the "In-Vein" meetings for many years. In 2015, she was the chair for annual Vein Forum conference in Washington, D.C. In 2019, she was course director for the deep vein course in Phoenix, AZ, and the non-thermal ablation course in Atlanta, GA, in 2020. She has also been elected to the executive boards of the New England Society of Vascular Surgery, the American College of Phlebology and the American Venous Forum, and is the treasurer of the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine.
In addition to writing several textbook chapters on venous disease, she has reviewed and published numerous papers for peer-reviewed journals. As a pioneer in the field of venous disease, she participates in the training of students, residents, fellows and attending physicians.
In her personal life, Dr. Stoughton enjoys kayaking every day on the pond next to her home in Boston, MA.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Minimally invasive venous procedures
- Pelvic congestion syndrome
- Pelvic Pain
- Pelvic venous obstruction
- Treatment of varicose veins
- Varicose veins
- Venous insufficiency and varicose veins
- Venous occlusive disease
- Venous ultrasound non-invasive vascular testing
- Venous vascular and endovascular surgery
- Adult & Pediatrics
Mass General Vascular Center: Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
55 Fruit St..
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General Vein Care at Stoneham
21 Montvale Ave.
Stoneham, MA 02180
- MD, Brown University School of Medicine
- Residency, Strong Memorial Hospital
- Fellowship, Strong Memorial Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Vascular Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Importance of Phasicity In Detection Of Proximal Iliac Vein Thrombosis with Venous Duplex Examination, J Vasc Ultrasound 2011
- Procedural Factors Influencing Endovenous Heat Induced Thrombus, ab J Vasc Surg 2011
- Venous Ablation Therapy: Indications and Outcomes, Prog Cardiovasc Dis, 2011
- Endovenous Ablation of Saphenous Veins: Atlas of Vascular Surgery: Anatomy and Technique, 2011
- Endovascular Treatment of Varicose Veins: Mastery of Surgery, 6th edition, 2011
- Physiologic testing: Clinical Review of Phlebology and Venous Ultrasound, in Press
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings