Bill Faquin, MD, PhD
Bill Faquin, MD, PhD
Pathologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
Subspecialty pathologist, Head and Neck Pathology & Cytopathology
Boston, MAPhone: 617-643-0800
About Bill Faquin, MD, PhD
Dr. Faquin is Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School. He received his MD from Harvard Medical School and PhD in cellular and developmental biology from Harvard University. He completed his residency in anatomic pathology at the Brigham and Women's Hospital where he also did a fellowship in cytopathology. Dr. Faquin has been a staff member in the Massachusetts General Hospital Pathology Department since 1998, and is currently the chief of Otolaryngologic pathology at Massachusetts Eye and Ear, and a subspecialty pathologist at Massachusetts General Hospital in the Head and Neck Pathology and Cytopathology Divisions. He is also director of the Max Goodman Frozen Section Lab at MEEI. Dr. Faquin is recognized nationally and internationally for his work in head and neck pathology and cytopathology. He has authored over 270 peer-reviewed publications, several book chapters, and has co-authored several books on thyroid cytopathology, salivary gland cytopathology, and head and neck cytohistology.
Dr. Faquin's talents as a teacher are evident in the numerous local, national, and international seminars, workshops, and courses that he has taught and directed. Dr. Faquin specializes in cytopathology of the head and neck including the salivary gland, HPV-related cancers, and the thyroid gland, and his current research interests involve translational studies pertaining to the detection, diagnosis, and prognostication of cancers of the thyroid and salivary glands, squamous cell carcinomas of the oropharynx, and tumors of the jaws and oral cavity.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Endocrine pathology
- Head and Neck Pathology
- Thyroid pathology
Mass General Pathology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- PhD, Harvard University
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
- Pathology, American Board of Pathology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Faquin combines his expertise in cytopathology (fine-needle aspiration cytology) and head and neck pathology to investigate key issues in the carcinogenesis of head and neck and thyroid neoplasia. He is involved in translational research pertaining to the detection, diagnosis, and prognostication of cancers involving the thyroid and salivary glands, squamous cell carcinomas of the oropharynx, and tumors of the jaws and oral cavity. Dr. Faquin is a member of the Center for Head and Neck Cancers at the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center.
- HPV-related squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: An update on testing in routine pathology practice. Bishop JA, Lewis JS Jr, Rocco JW, Faquin WC. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2015 Feb 4. pii: S0740-2570(15)00014-3. doi: 10.1053/j.semdp.2015.02.013. [Epub ahead of print]
- Thyroid FNA: International perspectives from the European Congress of Cytopathology-Can we cross the bridge of classifications? Rossi ED, Pusztaszeri M, Schmitt F, Bongiovanni M, Chandra A, Faquin WC. Cancer Cytopathol. 2015 Jan 14. doi: 10.1002/cncy.21517. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Cytologic evaluation of cervical lymph node metastases from cancers of unknown primary origin. Pusztaszeri MP, Faquin WC. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2014 Dec 20. pii: S0740-2570(14)00109-9. doi: 10.1053/j.semdp.2014.12.002. [Epub ahead of print]
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings