Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Dentistry at Longwood
188 Longwood Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
Mass General Dentistry
165 Cambridge St.
Charles River Plaza
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General Dental Group at Danvers
104 Endicott St.
Danvers, MA 01923
- DDS, Georgetown University Medical Center
- DDS, Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Residency, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center
- Residency, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center/SGHR, 59 MDW/GE
- Fellowship, University of Minnesota
- Fellowship, University of Minnesota Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Dentist, Federal Services Board of General Dentistry
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr Shaefer's research interests involve investigating the role of inflammatory mediators in chronic facial pain, the efficacy of treatments for orofacial pain / temporomandibular disorders (TMD), and the validity of diagnostic tests for the identification of TMD.
- Vranceanu A-M, Shaefer JR, Saadi AF, Slawsby E, Sarin J, Scult M, Benson H, Denninger JW: The relaxation response resiliency enhancement program in the management of chronic refractory temporomandibular joint disorder: Results from a pilot study. J Musculoske Pain 21(3): 224-230, 2013.
- Pain and temporomandibular disorders: a pharmaco-gender dilemma. Shaefer JR, Holland N, Whelan JS, Velly AM. Dent Clin North Am. 2013 Apr;57(2):233-62. doi: 10.1016/j.cden.2013.02.005.
- Analysis of Criteria for MRI Diagnosis of TMJ Disc Displacement and Arthralgia.Shaefer JR, Riley CJ, Caruso P, Keith D.Int J Dent. 2012;2012:283163. doi: 10.1155/2012/283163. Epub 2012 Dec 9.
- Johnson TM, Badovinac R, Shaefer J. Teaching alternatives to the standard inferior alveolar nerve block in dental education: outcomes in clinical practice. J Dent Educ 2007 Sep;71(9):1145-52.
- DaSilva AF, Shaefer J, Keith DA. The temporomandibular join: clinical and surgical aspects. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2003 Aug;13(3):573-82.
- Pehling J, Schiffman E, Look J, Shaefer J, Lenton P, Fricton J. Interexaminer reliability and clinical validity of the temporomandibular index: a new outcome measure for temporomandibular disorders. J Orofac Pain. 2002 Fall;16(4):296-304.
- Shaefer JR, Jackson DL, Schiffman EL, Anderson QN. Pressure-pain thresholds and MRI effusions in TMJ arthralgia. J Dent Res. 2001 Oct;80(10):1935-9.