Scott Podolsky, MD
Scott Podolsky, MD
Director, Center for the History of Medicine, Countway Medical Library
Boston, MAPhone: 617-724-8050
About Scott Podolsky, MD
Scott Podolsky, MD is a professor in the Department of Social Medicine and a primary care physician at Massachusetts General Hospital. Since 2006, he has served as the Director of the Center for the History of Medicine, based at the Countway Medical Library. Dr. Podolsky graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College with a bachelor's degree in history and science. He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Medical School. Dr. Podolsky has co-authored Generation of Diversity: Clonal Selection Theory and the Rise of Molecular Immunology (1997), authored Pneumonia before Antibiotics:Therapeutic Evolution and Evaluation in Twentieth-Century America (2006), and co-edited Oliver Wendell Holmes: Physician and Man of Letters (2009). His most recent book, The Antibiotic Era: Reform,Resistance, and the Pursuit of a Rational Therapeutics (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2015), traces nearly seven decades of antibiotic reform efforts, framing our current efforts to stave off a post-antibiotic era
- Adult primary care medicine
- General internal medicine
- History of medicine
Mass General Medical Group
50 Staniford St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- MassHealth ACO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Scott H. Podolsky, The Antibiotic Era: Reform, Resistance, and the Pursuit of a Rational Therapeutics (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2015).
Scott H. Podolsky and Charles S. Bryan, editors, Oliver Wendell Holmes: Physician and Man of Letters (Canton: Science History Publications, 2009).
Scott H. Podolsky, Pneumonia Before Antibiotics: Therapeutic Evolution and Evaluation in Twentieth-Century America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006).
Scott H. Podolsky and Alfred I. Tauber, Generation of Diversity: Clonal Selection Theory and the Rise of Molecular Immunology (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1997).
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings