Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-3030
Waltham, MAPhone: 781-487-3883
About Ronald Kulich, PhD
Clinical Care: I dedicate my clinical time to the evaluation and treatment of patients with persistent pain conditions, with activities that include screening and psychological evaluation for chronic opioid therapy, screening for interventional procedures, and cognitive behavioral interventions. Therapeutic goals include improvement in patient coping skills, maximizing adherence, and managing disability associated with chronic pain. I coordinate a time-limited behavioral group program, focusing on short-term, cost-effective strategies for the management of pain.
Education: Work in education and training includes coordination of behavioral science teaching for the MGH Pain Fellows and medical staff. Activities include directing the MGH Chronic Pain Rounds at the Ether Dome, as well as hosting other regional and national conferences on pain. Past education work has included membership and chairmanships of subcommittees through the American Pain Society, Presidency of New England Pain Association for two terms, and recent co-director of the Boston Pain Forum. Recent activities involve collaborative efforts with other institutions, including the Tufts and Harvard Dental Schools of Dental Medicine, and the Tufts Medical School.
Research: My earlier career was devoted to program development and quality improvement with private sector pain practice, while ongoing research has addressed public policy issues with access to pain care. This includes co-authorship of the book Managed Care in Pain and recent publications addressing access to cost-effective treatment. Recent published work has also addressed issues in forensic/medico-legal assessment, evidence in the courtroom, and risk management with opioid therapy in pain medicine practice.
- Clinical psychology
- Pain medicine
Mass General Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
55 Fruit St.
Gray Bigelow Building
Boston, MA 02114
Center for Pain Medicine at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
Waltham, MA 02451
- PhD, Purdue University
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Behavioral Health
- United Behavioral Health - MGH
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Rochman D, Ray S, Kulich RJ, Mehta N. Validity and utility of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure in a craniofacial pain center. Occ Ther J of Research
- Vranceanu AM, Ring D., Kulich R, Zhao M, Cowan J, & Safren S. Delivering cognitive-behavioral therapy as part of a surgical practice. Cognitive Behavioral Practice
- Chandwani B, Kulich RJ, Andrew L, Scrivani SJ. Tapering Chronic Opioid Therapy in Chronic Neuropathic Facial Pain - An Interdisciplinary Approach: Case Report. J Opioid Therapy
- Kulich RJ, Scrivani S, Maciewicz: Functional Imaging in the Courts: Applications for Pain Medicine? Pain Medicine
- Mehta N, Maloney GE, Bana D, Scrivani SJ, Kulich R, Maciewicz R: An Integrative Approach to the Diagnosis and Treatment of Head, Face and Neck Pain. In Mehta N, Maloney GE, Bana D, Scrivani SJ (eds): Head, Face and Neck Pain: Science, Evaluation and Management. 1st ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, 2008
- Scrivani SJ, Mehta NR, Keith DA, Stiles A, Maciewicz RJ, Kulich RJ: Facial Pain. In Ballantyne JC, Rathmell JP, Fishman SM (eds): Bonica's Management of Pain, 4th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA., 2008
- Vranceneau AM, Kulich RJ. Psychological aspects of head and neck pain. In Mehta N, Maloney GE, Bana D, Scrivani SJ (eds): Head, Face and Neck Pain: Science, Evaluation and Management. 1st ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, 2008
- Kulich RJ, Vranceneau AM. Disability in chronic head and neck pain, In Mehta N, Maloney GE, Bana D, Scrivani SJ (eds): Head, Face and Neck Pain: Science, Evaluation and Management. 1st ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, 2008
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings