A mammogram is an X-ray picture of the breast that can find cancer before it can be felt by you or your doctor. Learn more in this video from Dr. Michelle Specht, Breast Surgical Oncologist at the Mass General Cancer Center.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Surgical Oncology Associates
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
Mass General Waltham
52 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, Cornell University
- MD, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Residency, Cornell University Medical Center
- Residency, The New York Hospital
- Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
American Board Certifications
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Same Day Surgery for Mastectomy with Reconstruction
Nipple sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction
Treatment of lymphedema after breast cancer
- McGugin CJ, Coopey SB, Smith BL, Kelly BN, Brown CL, Gadd MA, Hughes KS, Specht MC. Enhanced Recovery Minimizes Opioid Use and Hospital Stay for Patients Undergoing Mastectomy with Reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Oct;26(11):3464-3471.
- McGugin C, Spivey T, Coopey S, Smith B, Kelly B, Gadd M, Hughes K, Dontchos B, Specht M. Radiofrequency identification tag localization is comparable to wire localization for non-palpable breast lesions. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Oct;177(3):735-739.
- Miller CL, Coopey SB, Rafferty E, Gadd M, Smith BL, Specht MC. Comparison of intra-operative specimen mammography to standard specimen mammography for excision of non-palpable breast lesions: a randomized trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Feb;155(3):513-9.
- Specht MC, Miller CL, Russell TA, Horick N, Skolny MN, O'Toole JA, Jammallo LS, Niemierko A, Sadek BT, Shenouda MN, Finkelstein DM, Smith BL, Taghian AG. Defining a threshold for intervention in breast cancer-related lymphedema: what level of arm volume predicts progression? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013 Aug; 140(3):485-94.
- Coopey SB, Smith BL, Hanson SA, Buckley JM, Hughes KS, Gadd MA, Specht MC. The Safety of Multiple Re-Excisions after Lumpectomy for Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Dec;18(13):3797-801.