Dr. Joseph Schwab earned the 2017 Richard Brand Award at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society in March.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Orthopaedic Spine Center & Orthopaedic Oncology Service
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Chicago Medical School
- Residency, Mayo Clinic
- Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Schwab has an active practice that includes the management of benign and malignant bone tumors as well as maladies of the spine such as cervical spinal stenosis, cervical myelopathy, lumbar stenosis, lumbar spondylolisthesis, herniated discs and adult scoliosis.
- Devisetty K, Kobayashi W, Suit HD, Goldberg SI, Niemierko A, Chen YL, Raskin KA, Schwab JH, Springfield DS, Yoon SS, Hornicek FJ, Delaney TF. Low-Dose Neoadjuvant External Beam Radiation Therapy for Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Sep 21.
- Schoenfeld AJ, Hornicek FJ, Pedlow FX, Kobayashi W, Garcia RT, DeLaney TF, Springfield D, Mankin HJ, Schwab JH. Osteosarcoma of the spine: experience in 26 patients treated at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Spine J. 2010 Aug;10(8):708-14.
- Kim B, Chen YL, Kirsch DG, Goldberg SI, Kobayashi W, Hyun Kung J, Wolfgang JA, Doppke K, Rosenberg AE, Nielsen GP, Raskin KA, Springfield DS, Schwab JH, Gebhardt MC, Yoon SS, Hornicek FJ, Delaney TF. An Effective Preoperative Three-Dimensional Radiotherapy Target Volume for Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma and the Effect of Margin Width on Local Control. Int J Radiati Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 July 1;77(3):843-50.
- Wang X, Wang Y, Yu L, Sakakura K, Visus C, Schwab JH, Ferrone CR, Favoino E, Koya Y, Campoli MR, McCarthy JB, DeLeo AB, Ferrone S. CSPG4 in cancer; multiple roles. Curr Mol Med 2010 Jun;10(4): 419-29.
- Yang C, Hornicek FJ, Wood KB, Schwab JH, Choy E, Iafrate J, Rosenberg A, Nielsen GP, Xavier RJ, Mankin H, Duan Z. " Characterization and analysis of human chordoma cell lines." Spine 2010 Jun 1;35(13):1257-64.
Click here for a complete list of publications.
- Jun | 20 | 2019
A team led by Dr. Joseph Schwab at Mass General is using machine learning to make better decisions about spinal surgery for their patients.
- Jul | 17 | 2017
IN THIS ARTICLE: Less invasive spine procedures can reduce adverse events and improve clinical outcomes. Such surgeries take advantage of new imaging technologies and protocols.