Ross Zafonte, DO
Ross Zafonte, DO
Earle P. and Ida S. Charlton Professor and Chair of the Harvard Medical School Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R)
Chief of the Department of PM&R Massachusetts General Hospital
Charlestown , MAPhone: 617-952-5000
Boston, MAPhone: 617-724-9722
About Ross Zafonte, DO
Dr. Ross D. Zafonte is the President of Spaulding Rehabilitation Network and the Earle P. and Ida S. Charlton Professor and Chairman of the Harvard Medical School Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R). He also serves as Chief of the Department of PM&R Massachusetts General Hospital, Chair of the Department of PM&R at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Senior Vice President of Medical Affairs, Research and Education at Spaulding Rehabilitation Network. Dr. Zafonte’s textbook, Brain Injury Medicine, is considered one of the standards in the field of brain injury care. His work is presently funded by the NIH, DOD and NIDRR, and he is currently directing several large clinical treatment trials. His research primarily focuses on understanding mechanisms of recovery after Brain and Spinal Cord Injury. At the RedSox MGH Home Base program, he directs the Brain Injury and the Warrior Health and Fitness programs and at the Football Players Health Study at Harvard University, he is the Principal Investigator. Dr. Zafonte also sees patients in numerous clinics and hospitals in the Boston community including former NFL athletes as part of a special MGH initiative known as the Brain and Body Program.
Dr. Zafonte has published extensively on traumatic brain injuries, spasticity, and other neurological disorders, as well as presented on these topics at conferences nationally and internationally. He is the author of more than 300 peer review journal articles, abstracts and book chapters. He is on the editorial board of the Journal of Neurotrauma and, in 2020, was named the Editor in Chief for the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. His most recent awards include the Innovative Clinical Treatment Award presented by the North American Brain Injury Society, the 2020 Distinguished Member Award from the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and a Public Service Medal from the Unites Stated Department of the Army for his work with military veterans.
Through all of Dr. Zafonte’s endeavors - research, academic, clinical and administrative - he has sought to improve the lives of persons with traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and other catastrophic illness.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Brain injury rehabilitation
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Adult & Pediatrics
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
300 First Ave.
Charlestown , MA 02129
Mass General for Children: Sports Concussion Clinic
101 Merrimac St.
Boston, MA 02114
- DO, Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Residency, Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Brain Injury Medicine, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehab
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine, American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehab
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, American Osteopathic Association
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings