With the addition of high-dose cyclophosphamide to graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis, simultaneous stem cell/kidney transplantation is feasible for selected patients who have partially HLA-matched donors.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Hematology/Oncology Bone Marrow Transplant
55 Fruit St
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- MD, Harvard Medical School/ BWH
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Fellowship, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Fellowship, Dana-Farber/Partners CancerCare
American Board Certifications
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Chen is the Director for the BMT program at MGH. His research interests mainly revolve around improving the outcomes for patients undergoing autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplantation. He serves as institution and overall principal investigator for many clinical trials. MGH is an active participant in several national collaborative group trials, specifically from Alliance and the BMT CTN. In addition, Dr. Chen currently lead the following investigative efforts:
- Use of brentuximab vedotin to target CD30 in the treatment of acute graft-vs-host disease (GVHD)
- Inhibition of the FLT3 mutation after allogeneic transplant for patients with FLT3-ITD mutated AML
- Use of third-party fecal microbiota transplantation to restore microbiome diversity in recipients of BMT
- Use of vedolizumab for the prevention and treatment of acute intestinal GVHD
- Combined bone marrow and kidney transplantation using partially matched family donors
Dr. Chen invites you to contact him directly to inquire about the latest clinical investigations available at MGH.
- Chen YB, et al. Upregulation of a4b7 integrin on peripheral blood memory T-cells predicts for intestinal graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) following allogeneic stem cell transplantation. BBMT. 2009;15:1066-76.
- Chen YB, et al. Expression of CD30 in Patients with Acute Graft-vs.-Host Disease. Blood. 2012; 120(3):691-6.
- Chen YB, Cutler CS. Biomarkers for acute GVHD: can we predict the unpredictable? BMT. 2013;48(6):755-60.
- Brunner A, ... and Chen YB. Outcomes of Patients Age 70 or Older Undergoing Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Hematologic Malignancies. BBMT. 2013; 19(9):1374-80.
- Chen YB, et al. “Phase I Trial of Maintenance Sorafenib after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for FLT3-ITD AML.” BBMT. 2014, 20(12):2042-8.
- El-Jawahri A, ...and Chen YB. “Improved Treatment-Related Mortality and Overall Survival of Patients with Grade IV Acute GVHD in the Modern Years.” BBMT. 2016; 22(5):910-918.
- Brunner AM, ... and Chen YB. “Haematopoietic Cell Transplantation with and without Sorafenib Maintenance for Patients with FLT3-ITD Acute Myeloid Leukaemia in CR1.” British Journal of Haematology. 2016; 175(3):496-504.
- DeFilipp Z and Chen YB. “Strategies and Challenges for Maintenance Therapies Following Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation.” Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2016; 22(12):2134-2140.