Young-Min Kwon, MD, PhD
Young-Min Kwon, MD, PhD
Vice Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Hip & Knee Replacement Orthopaedic Surgeon
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MAPhone: 617-643-7436
About Young-Min Kwon, MD, PhD
Young-Min Kwon, MD, PhD, FRACS, FRCS, FACS, FAOA, is the Vice Chair of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital and Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Kwon is the Director of the Bioengineering Laboratory and the Mass General Center for Tribocorrosion Evaluation & Treatment. Dr. Kwon is an accomplished surgeon, researcher and educator specializing in minimally invasive total hip and knee replacements and complex revision surgeries. Dr. Kwon's practice is dedicated to caring for patients who require hip and knee joint replacements.
Dr. Kwon earned his MD with Honors from the University of Sydney, Australia and completed his orthopaedic residency at the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He completed his Fellowship in Adult Reconstructive Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and completed an additional Hip Reconstruction Fellowship at the Balgrist University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland. He earned a PhD from the University of Oxford, United Kingdom. He is board certified in Orthopaedic Surgery with the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS), the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS) and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS). He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and the American Orthopaedic Association (AOA). He is an Active Member of The Hip Society and The Knee Society.
Dr. Kwon is the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including the Sir John Irvine Hunter Prize in conjunction with the title of Prosector, the AOA Traveling Fellowship Award, the FRCS's Traveling Fellowship Award, the New Investigator Recognition Award from the Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS), the Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the John Charnley Award from The Hip Society.
- Complex hip replacement
- Hip arthritis
- Hip arthroplasty
- Hip replacement
- Hip revision surgery
- Knee arthritis
- Knee replacement
- Knee revision surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement
- Minimally invasive total knee replacement
- Total hip replacement
- Total joint replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Unicondylar arthroplasty
Hip & Knee Replacement Service
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
- PhD, University of Oxford - Wadham College
- MD, University of Sydney School of Public Health
- Residency, Concord Hospital
- Residency, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellowship, Balgrist Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Kwon is dedicated to investigating orthopaedic problems and finding solutions that achieve the best outcome for his patients. He has more than 180 peer-reviewed publications. Dr. Kwon's expertise in hip and knee replacements is recognized with invited presentations at national and international scientific meetings. For Dr. Kwon's research investigating adverse reactions in metal-on-metal joint replacements, he has received the Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). Since their inception in 1947, the Kappa Delta Awards are bestowed by the Academy for outstanding research in orthopaedic surgery that is of the highest significance and impact. Additionally, Dr. Kwon was awarded the prestigious John Charnley Award from The Hip Society.
You can read more about Dr. Kwon's Kappa Delta Award at Aches & Joints, the AAOS website and the Harvard Gazette. Dr. Kwon has also been featured in the New York Times, on NPR and with the AAOS.
Dr. Kwon is the Director of the Bioengineering Laboratory as well as the Mass General Center for Metal-on-Metal Hip & Tribocorrosion Evaluation & Treatment.
- Kwon YM, Fehring TK, Lombardi AV, Barnes CL, Cabanela ME, Jacobs JJ. Risk stratification algorithm for management of patients with dual modular taper total hip arthroplasty: consensus statement of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Hip Society. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Nov;29(11):2060-4.
- Kwon YM, Lombardi AV, Jacobs JJ, Fehring TK, Lewis CG, Cabanela ME. Risk Stratification Algorithm for Management of Patients with Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty: Consensus Statement of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and The Hip Society. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Jan 1;96:e4(1-6).
- Dimitriou D, Tsai TY, Li JS, Nam KW, Park KK, Kwon YM. In vivo kinematic evaluation of Total Hip Arthroplasty during stair climbing. J Orthop Res 2015;33(7):1087-93.
- Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Li JS, Kwon YM. Does haptic-robot assisted total hip arthroplasty better restore native acetabular and femoral anatomy? Int J Med Robot 2016;12(2):288-295.
- Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Liow MH, Rubash HE, Li G, Kwon YM. 3D Imaging Analysis of Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Evaluated in Standing Position: Component Alignment and In-Vivo Articular Contact. J Arthroplasty 2016 May;31(5):1096-101.
- Liow MH, Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Li G, Kwon YM. Does 3-dimensional in vivo component rotation affect clinical outcomes in unicompartmental knee arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty 2016;31(10):2167-2172.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Related News and Articles
- Feb | 1 | 2022
Mass General orthopaedic surgeons ranked among Top Doctors in Boston
Please join us in congratulating the 13 Mass General orthopaedic surgeons named Top Doctors by Boston magazine for 2022. This impressive achievement is a testament to the commitment of our clinical team to providing safe, high-quality care while ensuring an exceptional patient experience.
- Patient Story
- Jan | 1 | 2019
Susan's Story: As a fitness instructor and nurse, Susan could not be slowed down by her hip arthritis.
As a fitness instructor and nurse, Susan could not be slowed down by her hip arthritis. Dr. Young-Min Kwon got her back to doing the things she loves.
- Aug | 11 | 2017
Taper Corrosion in Total Hip Arthroplasty
Diagnosing adverse local tissue reactions and optimizing clinical treatment and outcomes
- May | 16 | 2019
Opioid Use Before a Knee Replacement May Negatively Affect Your Postoperative Quality of Life
Patients who plan to undergo TKA should avoid opioid pain medication before surgery in order to optimize postoperative health-related quality of life.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings