Torsten Wiegand, MD, PhD
Torsten Wiegand, MD, PhD
Lecturer, Tufts Medical School
Salem, MAPhone: 978-741-1200
About Torsten Wiegand, MD, PhD
Dr. Wiegand was born and raised in Germany and holds dual US/German citizenship. He attended Friedrich-Wilhelms Universitaet in Bonn, Germany where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biology and received the prestigious Fulbright Grant. After receiving a PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Wisconsin, he went on to receive his medical degree from Columbia University. He completed his internship in internal medicine at St. Luke?s / Roosevelt Hospital. Dr. Wiegand trained in Boston at the Harvard Medical School Residency in Ophthalmology at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and as a Fellow in Vitreoretinal disease at both Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston and the Tufts University - New England Eye Center. He has experience in the medical and surgical treatment of diseases such as retinal detachment, macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease, and other complex retinal pathology.
Dr. Wiegand has presented nationally and published in multiple peer-reviewed journals. He also holds patents for his extensive research work. He has conducted clinical research on treatments for retinal detachment, and is currently involved in numerous large, national clinical trials offering the most advanced therapies for macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.
Dr. Wiegand is a Board-Certified Ophthalmologist and a Diplomat of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He treats his patients with the latest macular degeneration therapies, and performs advanced retinal surgery for many vitreoretinal diseases, including macular holes, retinal detachments, and epiretinal membranes. Dr. Wiegand treats diabetic eye disease with the most advanced medical therapies, laser procedures, and surgeries.
Dr. Wiegand has a special interest in macular degeneration, retinal detachment, diabetic retinopathy and uveitis.
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Epi retinal membrane
- Macular holes
- Retinal tears and detachments
- Retinal vascular occlusive diseases
- Vitreous retinal surgery
North Shore Physicians Group
81 Highland Ave
Salem, MA 01970
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
- Fellowship, TUFTS MEDICAL CENTER
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings