Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Brown University School of Medicine
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Mukai is a clinician scientist with clinical expertise in the surgical and medical management of vitreoretinal diseases, including complex retinal detachments, pediatric retina, intraocular tumors of the posterior segment (especially retinoblastoma), genetic retinal diseases, and retinal imaging. His research interests include molecular biology of retinal diseases (especially retinoblastoma) and proliferative vitreoretinopathy, new treatment approaches to retinoblastoma, smartphone-based retinal imaging and computerized image analysis, phenotype-genotype correlations in genetic retinal conditions, and retinal stem cells.
1. Wu W, Zhou G, Han H, Huang X, Jiang H, Mukai S, Kazlauskas A, Cui J, Matsubara JA, Vanhaesebroeck B, Xia X, Wang J, Lei H. PI3Kd as a Novel Therapeutic Target in Pathological Angiogenesis. Diabetes. 2020 Jan 08.
2. Nguyen HV, Nagata T, Mukai S. Inexpensive and Open-Source Devices and Systems for Retinal Imaging. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2020; 60(1):35-45.
3. Golas L, Skondra D, Ittiara S, Bajic N, Jeng-Miller KW, Mukai S, Yonekawa Y, Blair MP. Efficacy of Retinal Lesion Screening in Von Hippel-Lindau Patients With Widefield Color Fundus Imaging Versus Widefield FA. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2019 Nov 01; 50(11):e260-e265.
4. Gupta MP, Dow E, Jeng-Miller KW, Mukai S, Orlin A, Xu K, Yonekawa Y, Chan RVP. SPECTRAL DOMAIN OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHY FINDINGS IN COATS DISEASE. Retina. 2019 Jun; 39(6):1177-1185.
5. Lee Kim E, Weiner AJ, Ung C, Roh M, Wang J, Lee IJ, Huang NT, Stem M, Dahrouj M, Eliott D, Vavvas DG, Young LHY, Williams GA, Garretson BR, Kim IK, Hassan TS, Mukai S, Ruby AJ, Faia LJ, Capone A, Comander J, Kim LA, Wu DM, Drenser KA, Woodward MA, Wolfe JD, Yonekawa Y. Characterization of Epiretinal Proliferation in Full-Thickness Macular Holes and Effects on Surgical Outcomes. Ophthalmol Retina. 2019 Aug; 3(8):694-702.