Lucia Sobrin, MD
Lucia Sobrin, MD
Director, Morse Laser Center
Co-Director, Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Fellowship
Boston, MAPhone: 617-523-7900
About Lucia Sobrin, MD
Dr. Lucia Sobrin is a full-time clinician scientist with Mass. Eye and Ear's Retina and Uveitis Services. She has unique expertise diagnosing and treating rare and complicated eye disorders that affect the middle (uvea) and back (retina) portions of the eye. She has a specific clinical interest in the diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune retinopathy and cancer-associated retinopathy. She also serves as Director of the Morse Laser Center.
After obtaining her medical degree from the University Miami School of Medicine, Dr. Sobrin completed her ophthalmology residency training at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. She then completed a medical and surgical retina fellowship at Mass. Eye and Ear followed by a uveitis and ocular immunology fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute. In 2006, she became one of the Department's first Harvard Vision Clinical Scientist Research Program (K12) recipients and later received her Master of Public Health Degree from the Harvard School of Public Health.
Dr. Sobrin shares her in-depth knowledge of rare and complex cases with uveitis and retina fellows as well as ophthalmology residents. She also co-directs Mass. Eye and Ear's Uveitis Fellowship Program.
- Uveitis and immunology
- Adult & Pediatrics
- French, Spanish
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MPH, Harvard University
- MD, University of Miami
- Residency, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Residency, Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institute
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Sobrin's research focuses on identifying genes associated with polygenic ophthalmic diseases, particularly diabetic retinopathy. She led a candidate gene association study of diabetic retinopathy within the Candidate gene Association Resource (CARe), which included patients from several large population-based cohorts as well as an admixture genetic association study for diabetic retinopathy in African Americans. Currently, she is the principal investigator a multi-ethnic genome-wide association study of diabetic retinopathy. She is also has an interest in ocular disease pharmacogenetics and is chair of the Genetics Committee for the DRCR.net.
1. McKay KM, Borkar DS, Sevgi DD, Susarla G, Papaliodis GN, Sobrin L. Comparison of Modified Posterior Sub-Tenon's vs. Trans-Septal Triamcinolone Injection for Non-infectious Uveitis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2020 Jan 04; 1-8.
2. Sobrin L, Pistilli M, Dreger K, Kothari S, Khachatryan N, Artornsombudh P, Pujari SS, Foster CS, Jabs DA, Nussenblatt RB, Rosenbaum JT, Levy-Clarke GA, Sen HN, Suhler EB, Thorne JE, Bhatt NP, Kempen JH. Factors Predictive of Remission of Chronic Anterior Uveitis. Ophthalmology. 2019 Nov 28.
3. Wang D, Bloomberg JD, Sobrin L, Goldstein D, Skondra D. Atypical herpes simplex virus type 2 acute retinal necrosis presentation with large subretinal lesion. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2019 Sep; 15:100501.
4. Stanwyck LK, Moussa K, Chan W, Aitken PA, Sobrin L. Lack of Correlation between Number of Antiretinal Antibodies and Clinical Outcome Measures in Autoimmune Retinopathy Patients. Ophthalmol Retina. 2019 Nov; 3(11):1007-1009.
5. Minkus CL, Bispo PJM, Papaliodis GN, Sobrin L. Real-Time Multiplex PCR Analysis in Infectious Uveitis. Semin Ophthalmol. 2019; 34(4):252-255.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings