Suzanne Freitag, MD
Suzanne Freitag, MD
Director, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Service
Director, Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Fellowship
Co-Director, Center for Thyroid Eye Disease and Orbital Surgery
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Jefferson Medical College
- Residency, Wills Eye Hospital
- Fellowship, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Fellowship, Jules Stein Eye Institute
- Fellowship, Tufts Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Freitag's clinical practice includes diseases of the orbit, eyelids and lacrimal system. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Orbit, the International Journal on Orbital Disorders, Oculoplastic and Lacrimal Surgery. She has a special interest in thyroid orbitopathy, and is on the Executive Board of the International Thyroid Eye Disease Society She is completing 3 textbooks on topics including endoscopic orbital surgery, eyelid reconstruction and oculoplastic surgery tricks of the trade. She is a co-investigator with Drs. Leo Kim and Patricia D'Amore in several studies involving animal models of thyroid orbitopathy and idiopathic orbital inflammation.
1. Tao JP, Aakalu VK, Wladis EJ, Sobel RK, Freitag SK, Foster JA, Yen MT. Bioengineered Acellular Dermal Matrix Spacer Grafts for Lower Eyelid Retraction Repair: A Report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2019 Dec 30.
2. Freitag SK, Tanking T. A nomenclature to describe the sequence of visual field defects in progressive thyroid eye disease compressive optic neuropathy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2019 Dec 13.
3. Reshef ER, Habib LA, Rao R, Modjtahedi BS, Eliott D, Freitag SK, Reinshagen KL, Lee NG. Clinical and radiographic features of hydrolyzed MIRAgel scleral buckles: A comparative analysis. Clin Imaging. 2019 Dec 06; 60(1):10-15.
4. Banks C, Husain Q, Sacks R, Freitag SK, Bleier BS. Development of a Modular Cadaveric Endoscopic Orbital Surgery Model. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2019 Oct 16; 1945892419882553.
5. Wolkow N, Jakobiec FA, Habib LA, Freitag SK. Orbital Nasal-Type Extranodal Natural Killer/T-Cell Lymphoma: An Ongoing Diagnostic Challenge Further Confounded by Small-Cell Predominance. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Sep/Oct; 35(5):478-483.