Gideon Smith, MD, PhD, MPH
Gideon Smith, MD, PhD, MPH
Director, Medical Dermatology
Chair for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-2914
About Gideon Smith, MD, PhD, MPH
Born in Great Britain, Gideon P. Smith, MD, MPH, PhD completed his undergraduate studies at Imperial College, University of London, where he obtained a Bachelor of Science degree, with Honors, in Physics. He then went on to complete his Doctor of Philosophy at Leeds University. He then taught and performed research at Harvard University and Washington University in St Louis. He completed his medical training (MD) at Cornell Medical College, followed by an internship in internal medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center, New York. Afterwards, Dr. Smith completed his residency training in dermatology at NYU, Langone Medical Center, New York, where he was the Sulzberger Fellow specializing in connective tissue diseases and, in particular, scleroderma. His research during that time, examining the pathogenesis of scleroderma and developing new treatments for psoriasis, has been presented at international conferences and he has received a number of prizes in recognition of this work. He also holds a MPH from Harvard School of Public Health.
Dr. Smith has spoken both nationally and internationally. He is published in both the clinical dermatology and rheumatology journals, as well as in the leading basic science journals such as Science. He is the author of book chapters on autoimmune fibrosis, immunotherapies and systemic contact dermatitis.
He is board certified in dermatology and Associate Professor of Dermatology at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Smith has a special interest in scleroderma, Sjogren's and paraneoplastic autoimmune skin disorders and a wide range of clinical experience in the diagnosis and management of skin disorders. Currently, his research also includes the area of Quality Improvement and Patient Safety and he serves on several committees related to setting national standards in this area.
- Dermatology (general)
Mass General Dermatology
50 Staniford St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Residency, New York University, Tisch Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Dermatology, American Board of Dermatology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings