Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
- MD, Yale School of Medicine
- M.D.; Ph.D., Yale University School of Medicine
- Residency, Doheny Eye Center UCLA
- Residency, Doheny Eye Institute
- Fellowship, Doheny Eye Center UCLA
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Kim is a practicing vitreoretinal surgeon. He has extensive clinical experience in the management of retinal diseases associated with pathologic angiogenesis and is devoted to understanding the mechanisms of vitreoretinal disease. A former NIH-sponsored K12 scholar, Dr. Kim is evaluating neovascular membranes obtained from patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy in order to understand the underlying mechanisms of aberrant retinal angiogenesis. He is also studying the cell biology of proliferative vitreretinopathy (PVR) membranes obtained from patients. Other areas of interest include retinal toxicities and their mechanisms of cell death, as well as computational modeling of oxygen distribution in dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD) to predict conversion to wet AMD.
1. Lizano P, Bannai D, Lutz O, Kim LA, Miller J, Keshavan M. A Meta-analysis of Retinal Cytoarchitectural Abnormalities in Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder. Schizophr Bull. 2020 Jan 04; 46(1):43-53.
2. Tieger MG, Moussa K, Kim LA, Eliott D. The History of Visualization in Vitrectomy Surgery. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2020; 60(1):1-15.
3. Cui Y, Zhu Y, Wang JC, Lu Y, Zeng R, Katz R, Wu DM, Vavvas DG, Husain D, Miller JW, Kim LA, Miller JB. Imaging Artifacts and Segmentation Errors With Wide-Field Swept-Source Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography in Diabetic Retinopathy. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2019 Nov; 8(6):18.
4. Arboleda-Velasquez JF, Lopera F, O'Hare M, Delgado-Tirado S, Marino C, Chmielewska N, Saez-Torres KL, Amarnani D, Schultz AP, Sperling RA, Leyton-Cifuentes D, Chen K, Baena A, Aguillon D, Rios-Romenets S, Giraldo M, Guzmán-Vélez E, Norton DJ, Pardilla-Delgado E, Artola A, Sanchez JS, Acosta-Uribe J, Lalli M, Kosik KS, Huentelman MJ, Zetterberg H, Blennow K, Reiman RA, Luo J, Chen Y, Thiyyagura P, Su Y, Jun GR, Naymik M, Gai X, Bootwalla M, Ji J, Shen L, Miller JB, Kim LA, Tariot PN, Johnson KA, Reiman EM, Quiroz YT. Resistance to autosomal dominant Alzheimer's disease in an APOE3 Christchurch homozygote: a case report. Nat Med. 2019 Nov; 25(11):1680-1683.
5. McHugh KJ, Li D, Wang JC, Kwark L, Loo J, Macha V, Farsiu S, Kim LA, Saint-Geniez M. Computational modeling of retinal hypoxia and photoreceptor degeneration in patients with age-related macular degeneration. PLoS One. 2019; 14(6):e0216215.