Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
Gastroenterology Assoc/Digestive Health Center
165 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, MPH, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Schaefer's research centers around the role of lipid metabolism during infection with the hepatitis C virus, and the roles of hypoxia (low oxygen levels), lipid metabolism, and small RNA molecules in the development of non-alcoholic fatty liver.
- Peng LF, Schaefer EA, Maloof N, et al. Ceestatin, a Novel Small Molecule Inhibitor of Hepatitis C Virus Replication, Inhibits 3-Hydroxy-3Methylglutaryl-Coenzyme A Synthase. J Infect Disease 2011.
- Rodgers MA, Villareal VA, Schaefer EA, et al. Lipid Metabolite Profiling Identifies Desmosterol Metabolism as a New Antiviral Target for Hepatitis C Virus. J Am Chem Soc 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Anti-hepatitis C virus drugs in development. Gastroenterology 2012.
- Ding Q, Lee Y, Schaefer EA, et al. A TALEN genome editing system for generating human stem cell based disease models. Cell Stem Cell 2013.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. HIV and HCV Coinfection: Where are we in 2010? Current Hepatitis Reports 2010.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. The Impact of human gene polymorphisms on HCV infection and disease outcome. Semin Liver Dis 2011.
- Schaefer EA and Pratt DS. Autoimmune hepatitis: current challenges in diagnosis and management in a chronic progressive liver disease. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. HCV and Host Lipids, an intimate connection. Semin Liver Dis, 2013.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Virology and Immunology of Hepatitis Viruses. Clinical Care Options Hepatology 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Dienstag J. Viral Hepatitis. ACP Internal Medicine.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Development of HCV Drugs. Viral Hepatitis.