Santiago Lozano-Calderon, MD, PhD
Santiago Lozano-Calderon, MD, PhD
Orthopaedic Oncology Surgeon
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Orthopaedic Oncology Service | Centers for Sarcoma & Chordoma
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Medical School
- PhD, University of Amsterdam
- Residency, New York Medical College
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Lozano has a strong interest in clinical research in orthopaedic oncology. His academic practice involves multiple clinical studies evaluating particular neoplastic problems of osseous and connective tissue nature. His focus of research includes clinical outcomes after reconstructive oncologic surgery in the upper and lower extremities, oncologic problems in the upper extremity and functional outcomes after surgical treatment in patients with primary sarcomas of bone and soft-tissue, as well as metastatic bone disease.
In the video below, he discusses the latest innovations in treating bone cancer using patient profiling to develop more targeted treatment plans. You can read more about Dr. Lozano's research on Mass General's Advances in Motion website
See a complete list of my publications via the National Institutes of Health.
- Lozano-Calderon SA, Rijs Z, Groot OQ, Su MW, Werenski JO, Merchan N, Yeung CM, Sodhi A, Berner E, Oliveira V, Bianchi G, Staals E, Lana D, Donati D, Segal O, Marone S, Piana R, Meo S, Pellegrino P, Ratto N, Zoccali C, Scorianz M, Tomai C, Scoccianti G, Campanacci DA, Andreani L, Franco S, Boffano M, Pensado MP, Ruiz IB, Moreno EH, Ortiz-Cruz EJ, van de Sande M. Outcomes of Long Bones Treated With Carbon-Fiber Nails for Oncologic Indications: International Multi-institutional Study. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2023 Oct 31. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-22-01159.
- Clunk MJ, Gonzalez MR, Denwood HM, Werenski JO, Sodhi A, Hoffman BA, Merchan N, Lozano-Calderon SA. A PEEK into carbon fiber: A practical guide for high performance composite polymeric implants for orthopaedic oncology. J Orthop. 2023 Sep 29;45:13-18. doi: 10.1016/j.jor.2023.09.011. eCollection 2023 Nov.
- Kelly SP, Ramkumar DB, Crawford B, Lozano-Calderon SA, Gebhardt MC, Anderson ME. Management of limb length discrepancy after bone sarcoma resection about the knee in the skeletally immature. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2023 Sep 11. doi: 10.1097/BPB.0000000000001124.
- Rijs Z, Weekhout A, Daniel S, Schoones JW, Groot OQ, Lozano-Calderon SA, van de Sande MAJ. Carbon-fibre plates for traumatic and (impending) pathological fracture fixation: Where do we stand? A systematic review. J Orthop Traumatol. 2023 Aug 11;24(1):42. doi: 10.1186/s10195-023-00724-4.
- Hoftiezer YAJ, Posada Alvarez C, Werenski JO, Schreuder HWB, Eberlin KR, Lee SG, Lozano-Calder?n SA. Salvage of a Fractured Proximal Ulnar Osteoarticular Allograft Using a Medial Femoral Condyle Free Flap: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2023 Aug 2;13(3). doi: 10.2106/JBJS.CC.22.00796. eCollection 2023 Jul 1.
- Karczewski D, Gonzalez MR, Bedi A, Ready JE, Anderson ME, Lozano-Calderon SA. Giant cell-rich osteosarcoma: A match pair analysis of 11 new cases and literature review of 56 patients. J Surg Oncol. 2023 Oct;128(5):877-890. doi: 10.1002/jso.27368. Epub 2023 Jun 9.