Mark Varvares, MD, FACS
Mark Varvares, MD, FACS
Physician and Surgeon
Harvard Medical School John W. Merriam/William W. Montgomery Professor of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
Boston, MAPhone: 617-523-7900
About Mark Varvares, MD, FACS
Specializing in head and neck ablative and reconstructive surgery, Dr. Mark Varvares serves as the Associate Chair of Otolaryngology at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Varvares first joined the full-time faculty of Mass. Eye and Ear/Harvard Medical School in 1992, following two years in a community-based practice. In 2003, he accepted a Department Chairmanship at Saint Louis University School of Medicine, where he successfully established a multidisciplinary program in head and neck oncology, among his many other accomplishments. In 2015, he returned to Boston to rejoin the full-time faculty of Mass. Eye and Ear/Harvard Medical School.
In his capacity as Associate Chair, Dr. Varvares oversees clinical and research program development across the Harvard Medical School affiliate programs. His clinical interests include squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck, free flap reconstruction of head and neck defects, skull base surgery, surgery of the parotid, thyroid and parathyroid glands, surgery of the larynx, and cancer of the nose and paranasal sinuses.
- Cancer of the Nose and Paranasal Sinuses
- Head & Neck Reconstruction
- Head and neck cancer
- Head and neck cancer surgery
- Parathyroid surgery
- Skull base surgery
- Surgery of the Larynx
- Surgical treatment of thyroid and parathyroid disorders
- Thyroid cancer
- Thyroid surgery
- Thyroid tumors and cervical soft tissue tumors
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Saint Louis University Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
- Residency, St. Louis University Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear***
American Board Certifications
- Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surg
- Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, American Board of Otolaryngology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Varvares conducts a research program in head and neck oncology, studying how surgical pathology of head and neck tumors impact survival. Other research interests include a variety of topics in head and neck reconstruction, the role of oncolytic adenoviruses as a possible therapeutic modality to treat head and neck cancer and the role of music therapy as an intervention in cancer management.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings