Boston, MAPhone: 617-523-7900
About John Gittinger, MD
A member of the Neuro-Ophthalmology Service, Dr. John Gittinger is a clinician scientist who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neuro-ophthalmic disorders.
Before coming to Mass. Eye and Ear, he was the Director of the Neuro-Ophthalmology Service at Boston Medical Center, and Professor of Ophthalmology and Neurology at Boston University School of Medicine.
Dr. Gittinger has now been on the faculty of all four Massachusetts medical schools, holding leadership positions at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Boston University School of Medicine, and the Boston VA Medical Center. Active in teaching and publishing, Dr. Gittinger is a regular contributor to the New England Ophthalmological Society and an active member in the Cogan Ophthalmic History Society. He has authored over 115 publications and presented more than 80 regional, national, and local lectures. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the international review journal, Survey of Ophthalmology.
Mass. Eye and Ear
243 Charles St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
- Fellowship, National Eye Institute
- Fellowship, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Fellowship, National Institutes of Health
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- Tufts Health Plan
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
1. Gittinger JW. Management of normal tension glaucoma. Surv Ophthalmol. 2019 Jan - Feb; 64(1):101.
2. Chwalisz B, Gilbert AL, Gittinger JW. Perioperative Vision Loss after Non-Ocular Surgery. Semin Ophthalmol. 2018; 33(1):17-22.
3. Pillai C, Gittinger JW. Vision Testing in the Evaluation of Concussion. Semin Ophthalmol. 2017; 32(1):144-152.
4. Gaier ED, Gittinger JW, Cestari DM, Miller JB. Peripapillary Capillary Dilation in Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy Revealed by Optical Coherence Tomographic Angiography. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016 11 01; 134(11):1332-1334.
5. Thon OR, Gittinger JW. Medication-Related Pseudotumor Cerebri Syndrome. Semin Ophthalmol. 2017; 32(1):134-143.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings