Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-2426
About Christopher Velez, MD
Christopher Vélez, MD is a gastroenterologist practicing within the Center for Neurointestinal Health of the MGH GI division, focusing on the broad category of neurogastroenterology and motility disorders impacting the esophagus stomach, and bowels. He is particularly interested in the diagnosis and medical management of esophageal motility diseases such as gastro-esophageal reflux disease, functional heartburn, and achalasia. He collaborates closely with surgical and advanced endoscopy colleagues in the Swallowing, Heartburn, and Esophageal Disease (SHED) Center, including helping improve multidisciplinary collaboration.
Dr. Vélez’s additional clinical and research endeavors include managing the gastrointestinal manifestations of cystic fibrosis, having participated in various Cystic Fibrosis Foundation sponsored initiatives. He is the first gastroenterologist embedded in the MGH Adult CF Clinic, working closely with pulmonologists, dietitians, and therapists. A fluent Spanish speaker, he also has attempted to improve access to gastrointestinal care in the Latino/a community within the greater Boston area, in particular at the MGH Chelsea site. He also studies ways to improve culturally competent care in underserved communities and better understand functional and GI motility disorder manifestation and shared decision making as well.
Having graduated from Harvard College with his bachelor’s degree, Dr. Vélez obtained his medical doctorate from the New York University School of Medicine. He completed his residency, chief residency, and GI fellowship at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, finally coming to MGH to complete a formal advanced fellowship in neurogastroenterology and motility. He serves as the assistant program director of the advanced fellowship in functional and GI motility disorders at MGH, one of only a handful of programs worldwide dedicated exclusively to enhancing subspecialty training in these conditions. Dr. Vélez is intimately involved in fellow education as well. He has authored various book chapters, peer-reviewed work, and lectured locally, regionally, and nationally on various topics related to functional and GI motility diseases.
Mass General Gastroenterology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, New York University School of Medicine
- Residency, Albert Einstein College/Montefiore Medical Center
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Montefiore Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings