Boston, MAPhone: 617-724-4100
About Marc Shapiro, MD
Dr. Shapiro graduated from Tufts University School of Medicine in 1989 and completed his Emergency Medicine residency at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center in 1993. Dr. Shapiro’s areas of expertise are in teamwork training, medical simulation, patient safety and ED operations.
While at Brown University he founded the Rhode Island Hospital Medical Simulation Center. While there he focused on teamwork training as part of the MedTeams® project and was part of a pioneering investigative teams funded by AHRQ to develop a Center for Safety in Emergency Care.
He joined the Department of Emergency Medicine at Yale in 2011, initially serving as the Director of Patient Safety and Quality and then as Medical Director of the Yale-New Haven Hospital Emergency Department on the newly acquired Saint Raphael's Campus. He was responsible for the complex and comprehensive integration of the ED into the overall acute clinical care delivery service line of the Yale-New Haven Health System. His efforts resulted in a more geriatric friendly Emergency Department and improvement in the quality of geriatric patient care, including the successful implementation of multispecialty fragility hip fracture program.
In 2018 he took over the medical leadership of Mass General Brigham Urgent Care and has led its transition from a joint venture to a wholly owned subsidiary. Concurrently, he joined the MGH Emergency Medicine faculty and works regular shifts in the Emergency Department.
- Medical simulation
- Quality and safety
Mass General Emergency Medicine
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02115
- MD, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Residency, University of Cincinnati++
American Board Certifications
- Emergency Medicine, American Board of Emergency Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Outside
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings