Dr. Bassem Elhassan, Co-Chief of the Shoulder Service, has created many surgical techniques throughout his career. When a patient came to him after a serious 4-wheeler accident, Dr. Elhassan used a muscle transfer technique to reduce the patient's pain and help him regain mobility in his shoulder.
Bassem Elhassan, MD
Bassem Elhassan, MD
Co-Chief, Shoulder Service
Program Director, Shoulder Surgery Fellowship
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Building, Suite 3G
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, American University of Beirut
- Residency, American University of Beirut
- Residency, American University of Beirut Medical Center
- Residency, University of Chicago
- Residency, University of Illinois Chicago
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Fellowship, Mayo Clinic Foundation
- Fellowship, MGH
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedics, (No Board)
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Hand Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Elhassan's main research is focused on understanding the anatomy and biomechanics of the shoulder. He was able, with the help of his colleagues, to create a state-of-the-art shoulder model on which he conducts his studies. This model has helped in evaluating the kinematic of the scapula and the scapulothoracic articulation. In addition, it helped determine the effectiveness of different muscle transfers to reconstruct the deficient rotator cuff, in native shoulders, as well as in shoulders with reverse shoulder arthroplasty.
- Kakar S, Noureldin M, Elhassan B. Ulnar head replacement and sigmoid notch resurfacing arthroplasty with a lateral meniscal allograft: 'calamari procedure'. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2017 Jul; 42 (6):567-572.
- Willemot LB, Elhassan BT, Verborgt O. Bony Reconstruction of the Anterior Glenoid Rim. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018 May 15; 26 (10):e207-e218.
- Burnier M, Elhassan BT, Sanchez-Sotelo J. Surgical Management of Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears: What Works, What Does Not, and What Is Coming. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Sep 4; 101 (17):1603-1612.
- Reif T, Schoch B, Spiguel A, Elhassan B, Wright T, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Wilke BK. A retrospective review of revision proximal humeral allograft-prosthetic composite procedures: an analysis of proximal humeral bone stock restoration. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Jul; 29 (7):1353-1358.
- Elhassan BT, Wagner ER, Kany J. Latissimus dorsi transfer for irreparable subscapularis tear. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Oct; 29 (10):2128-2134.
- Elhassan BT, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Wagner ER. Outcome of arthroscopically assisted lower trapezius transfer to reconstruct massive irreparable posterior-superior rotator cuff tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Oct; 29 (10):2135-2142.
- Nov | 16 | 2020
"Very sincerely I am here to try to help more patients, and I am really hoping that what I was able to learn and develop over the years I will keep evolving to make sure the outcomes improve based on research," says Dr. Bassem Elhassan.