Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-1721
Waltham, MAPhone: 617-726-1721
About Barry Shea, MD
Dr. Shea received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Dartmouth College and his medical degree from Tufts University School of Medicine. He completed his internal medicine residency at New York-Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical Center and his pulmonary and critical care medicine fellowship at the Harvard Combined Program. He then completed a postdoctoral fellowship studying the biology of lung fibrosis before becoming a faculty member in the MGH Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Division. Dr. Shea then joined the faculty at Brown University and Rhode Island Hospital (RIH), where he established and led the Brown-RIH Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD) Program, before returning to MGH in 2021. Dr. Shea’s career has been focused on caring for individuals afflicted with ILDs and conducting basic, clinical, and translational research in the field of pulmonary fibrosis. He has received NIH funding for his research and has served as site principal investigator for numerous clinical trials in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)
- Interstitial lung disease
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
Mass General Pulmonary & Critical Care
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Residency, NewYork-Presbyterian/ Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowship, Cornell University College of Medicine
- Fellowship, Harvard (MGH, BWH, BIDMC)
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Critical Care Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Shea?s research focus is exploring the mechanisms that lead to lung fibrosis and exploring new treatments for this disease process. His research has included basic science, translational, and clinical investigations, and he has received NIH funding for his work. He is currently exploring the use of a novel molecular imaging technique to assess the extent of ongoing lung injury in pulmonary fibrosis, and he is an investigator for several industry-sponsored clinical trials in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and other fibrotic lung diseases.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings