Dr. Kwolek serves as Director of the Vascular and Endovascular training program at the MGH and as the Chief of Vascular Surgery at Newton Wellesley Hospital. He is recognized by Castle and Connolly and Boston Magazine as one of America's Top Doctors.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Carotid angioplasty and stenting/carotid endarterectomy
- Peripheral Thrombolysis and Angioplasty
- Endovascular surgery
- Thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- Renal and Visceral Artery Angioplasty and Stenting
- Aortic dissection
- IVC filter placement and retrieval
- Venous and arterial thoracic outlet syndrome
- Visceral and renal artery aneurysms
- Lower extremity angioplasty and atherectomy
- Medical Education
- MD, UC San Francisco School of Medicine
- Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center|Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Arizona Heart Institute
- Board Certifications
- Vascular Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Newton: Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
- Research Summary
- Dr. Kwolek has been involved with numerous FDA approved clinical trials to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of new devices and techniques for the management patients with complex vascular problems. He has served as the MGH site principal investigator for trials involving Thoracic aortic stent grafting for the repair of degenerative aneurysms, aortic dissection and traumatic injury to the thoracic aorta. He is currently serving as the site principal investigator to evaluate new fenestrated stent grafts for treating complex abdominal aortic aneurysms and serves as the National Co-principal investigator for the Terumo Anaconda Infrarenal stent graft trial. He has been the MGH principal investigator for several trials involving carotid angioplasty and stenting and will serve as the National Co-Principal Investigator for a new carotid stent trial using proximal flow reversal, Dr. Kwolek has also been involved as the MGH PI for lower extremity angioplasty and stenting trials using plain and drug eluting stents and is leading the research effort to evaluate mechanical atherectomy for the treatment of lower extremity arterial disease.
Dr. Kwolek's other interests include the use of intravascular ultrasound for the management of aortic dissection and other acute vascular problems, placement and retrieval of temporary IVC filters for the management of venous thrombosis, and the management of venous and arterial thoracic outlet syndrome.
- Kwolek CJ, Crawford RS. Training the next generation of Vascular Specialists: Current Status and Future Perspectives. J Endovasc Ther 2009;16(Suppl I):I42-I52.
Kwolek CJ. Has carotid angioplasty and stenting (CAS) replaced carotid endarterectomy (CEA) as the treatment of choice for Carotid disease? Pro. J Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2009;23(2):245-
Cambria RP, Crawford RS, Cho JS, Bavaria J, Farber M, Lee WA, Ramaiah V, Kwolek CJ. A multicenter clinical trial of endovascular stent graft repair of acute catastrophes of the descending thoracic aorta. J Vasc Surg 2009;50:1255-64
Kwolek CJ, Watkins MT. The INvestigation of STEnt Grafts in Aortic Dissection (INSTEAD) trial: the need for ongoing analysis. Circulation 2009; 120(25):2513-4
45 doctors from Massachusetts General Hospital’s Department of Surgery included in Boston magazine's 2019 Top Doctors list.
Patients with carotid artery narrowing had been limited to endarterectomy or stenting, however a new approach allows for comparable results with less risk.
Massachusetts General Hospital now offering less-invasive procedure for treatment of carotid artery disease
Physicians in the Fireman Vascular Center at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) are now offering a new and less invasive method of treatment for carotid artery disease known as transcarotid artery revascularization, or TCAR.
After being diagnosed with peripheral artery disease, Christine Coyne stopped smoking and began an exercise regime on the advice of her physician to manage her symptoms. Today, she's swimming multiple times a week.
MGH Hotline 11.19.10
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117