Dr. Mudgal is a recognized hand, wrist and elbow surgeon, working to help patients regain functionality and improve their quality of life.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Hand surgery
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Tendon injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Paralytic disorders
- Inflammatory disorders causing hand dysfunction (rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus, etc.)
- Hand fractures
- Wrist dislocations
- Elbow dislocations
- Biceps repair
- Triceps repair
- Fractures of the distal radius
- Nonunions of fractures
- Malunion of fractures
- Medical Education
- MBBS, MS, Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and Hospital
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Surgery of the Hand
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General Waltham
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Mudgal received his MBBS degree from Bombay University, India. He completed an Orthopaedic Residency in Bombay as well as one in Liverpool, UK, leading to his MS (Orth.) and MCh(Orth.) degrees. Dr. Mudgal went on to complete an additional Orthopaedic Residency in the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program in Boston, and a Fellowship in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery at Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University.
Dr. Mudgal's clinical interests include a comprehensive array of hand and upper extremity disorders such as fractures, tendon and nerve injuries and paralytic disorders of the upper limb and arthritic conditions. He is also extremely interested in surgery of the upper limb in patients who have suffered strokes or traumatic head injuries.
Prior to joining MGH faculty Dr. Mudgal was the founding Director of the Hand Service at the Cambridge Health Alliance, in Cambridge MA.
- Research Summary
Dr. Mudgal's research interests include identification of injury patterns and methods of treating them to maximize outcomes. Dr. Mudgal's research evaluates existing treatment methods or devises new methods of treating complex injuries.
- Tobert D, Klausmeyer M, Mudgal CS. Intramedullary fixation of metacarpal fractures using headless compression screws. J Hand Microsurg. , 2016.
- Claessen FM, Kachooei AR, Verheij KK, Kolovich GP, Mudgal CS. Outcomes of Concomitant Fractures of the Radial Head and Capitellum: The "Kissing Lesion". J Hand Microsurg., 8(2):100-5, 2016.
- Slutsky DJ, Herzberg G, Shin AY, Buijze GA, Ring DC, Mudgal CS, Leung YF, Dumontier C. Coronal Fractures of the Scaphoid: A Review. J Wrist Surg., 5(3):194-201, 2016.
- Rivlin M, Eberlin KR, Kachooei AR, Hosseini A, Zivaljevic N, Li G, Mudgal C. Side-to-Side Versus Pulvertaft Extensor Tenorrhaphy-A Biomechanical Study. J Hand Surg Am. 2016 Aug 18.
- Xu L, Yang K, Wei P, Luo X, Mo Y, Liang X, Lin H, Tan H, Mudgal CS. Computed Tomography Angiography Allows the Classification of the First Dorsal Metatarsal Arteries. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2016 Jul 25.
- Kachooei AR, Rivlin M, Shojaie B, van Dijk CN, Mudgal C. Intraoperative Technique for Evaluation of the Interosseous Ligament of the Forearm. J Hand Surg Am. 40(12):2372-6, 2015.
- Drijkoningen T, Peters RM, Eberlin KR, Mudgal CS, Cetrulo CL Jr. Case Study: Osteosynthesis, Tenodesis Effect, and Side-to-Side Tendon Repair in Hand Transplantation. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. Sep;19(3):110-4, 2015.
- Neuhaus V, Christoforou DC, Kachooei AR, Jupiter JB, Ring DC, Mudgal CS. Radial Head Prosthesis Removal: a Retrospective Case Series of 14 Patients. Arch Bone Jt Surg. Apr;3(2):88-93, 2015.
“There is an old Indian proverb, ‘many drops make a lake,’ ” says Chaitanya Mudgal, MD, a hand and upper extremity orthopædic surgeon at the MGH. “These are just some of those drops.”
A review of the 5th Annual Jupiter International Hand Forum.
On Oct. 26, 19 days after becoming the MGH’s first hand transplant recipient, Joe Kinan showed how his unwavering commitment to having a positive attitude has paid off – he wiggled the fingers on his left hand for the first time in public.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 2C
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-726-4700
Phone 2: 617-643-3945
40 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451