- Clinical Interests
- Drug hypersensitivity
- Food sensitivity
- Eosinophilic disorders
- Nasal polyps
- Medical Education
- MD, University College Cork Medical School
- Residency, St. Vincent's University Hospital
- Fellowship, McMaster University Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Allergy & Immunology
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General Waltham
- Existing Patients
- Patient Gateway
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
- Provider Gender
I received my medical degree from University College Cork of the National University of Ireland in 1980. After residency training in internal medicine in Cork and Dublin, I undertook Fellowship training and Allergy and Immunology at McMaster University in Canada, as well as serving as Chief Medical Resident. I followed this with a 3 year laboratory-based research Fellowship in the Department of Hematology Oncology at Tufts University-New England Medical Center. From 1991-2001, I was a staff physician in the Division of Allergy at that institution and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Tufts University. I co-directed the clinical practice and worked part-time in a private practice between 1996 and 2001.
In 2001, I was appointed Clinical Director of the allergy unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. In 2004, I assumed an additional role as Director of the Fellowship Program in Allergy and Immunology in the Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology. I am an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
- Research Summary
In 2007, I embarked on a novel study of dendritic cell function in patients with asthma. Previously, my research was clinically based and related predominantly to health care utilization and adherence patterns in asthma patients. During fellowship, I studied lymphocytotoxic and antiphospholipid antibodies in SLE and use of variable region genes usage in autoantibodies and IgE. I also evaluated in situ PCR. During residency, I co-authored publications in the field of rheumatology and gastroenterology.
- Long AA, Camargo CA Jr. Current practice of venom immunotherapy in the UK. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008 Oct;38(10):1576-8. Epub 2008 Jul 28.
- Long AA. Immunomodulators in the Treatment of Asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc 2009; 30: 109-119
- Long AA. Monoclonal Antibodies and Other Biologic Agents in the Treatment of Asthma. mAbs 2009; 1(3): 237- 246.
- Long, AA. Aeroallergen sensitization in asthma: Genetics, environment and pathphysiology. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, 2010, 31: 89-95.
- Patil SU and Long AA. The usefulness of biomarkers of airway inflammation in managing asthma. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, July 2010
A team of Massachusetts General Hospital investigators has found no evidence that allergen immunotherapy carries a risk of infection. Although the sterility of these “allergy shots” has not been a concern, the organization that sets standards for the quality and safety of medications has proposed new guidelines that place them in the same category as preparations intended for intravenous or spinal administration.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
40 Second Ave, Bldg 52
Waltham, MA 02451