Dr. Smith cares for and treats traumatically-injured patients with fractures, dislocations and major soft tissue injuries.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Acetabular fractures
- Complications of trauma
- Femur and tibia fractures
- Hip fractures
- Limb deformity correction
- Malunion of fractures
- Minimally invasive plating techniques
- Nonunions of fractures
- Open fracture management
- Pelvic & acetabular reconstruction
- Pelvic fractures
- Post traumatic reconstruction
- Trauma-related infections
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Leeds
- Residency, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre
- Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
- Provider Gender
Dr. Smith is an experienced clinician with specific interests in the management of orthopaedic injuries. He held a NHS Consultant post in the UK from December 1992 to July 2001, establishing a major trauma referral center at St. James's University Hospital in Leeds. He was recruited by the Harvard Department of Orthopaedic Surgery in 2001 and is the Chief of the Orthopaedic Trauma Center at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Smith is an internationally recognized specialist in Orthopaedic traumatology with special experience in the management of polytrauma, pelvic and acetabular surgery, open fracture management, minimally invasive plating techniques and post-traumatic reconstruction.
Academically, he has served on the Editorial Board of the JBJS(Br) and regularly reviews papers for a number of journals. He is a member of several major Orthopaedic and Trauma societies and was President if the British Trauma Society from 2000-2001.
- Research Summary
Dr. Smith is well-published in orthopaedic trauma literature. His research portfolio contains basic science, epidemiological, clinical method and outcome studies. Of note, Dr. Smith's work on the healing of femoral fractures, the immune response after trauma, and open fracture management are considered landmark papers in the field of orthopaedic trauma.
Dr. Smith has published extensively in the field trauma orthopaedics. Here is a short selection:
- Bhattacharyya T, Mehta P, Smith RM, Pomahac B. Routine Use of Wound Vacuum-Assisted Closure Does Not Allow Coverage Delay for Open Tibia Fractures. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2008,121(4) 1263-1266.
- Morley JR, Smith RM, Pape. HC, Macdonald DA, Trejdosiewitz LK, Giannoudis PV Stimulation of the local inflammatory response to fracture and intramedullary reaming, A preliminary study of the source of the second hit phenomenon.J Bone & Joint Surg 2008, 90(3) 393-399.
- O'toole RV, Gobezie R, Hwang R, Chandler AR, Smith RM, Estok DM 2nd, Vrahas MS. Low Complication Rate of LISS for Femur Fractures Adjacent to Stable Hip or Knee Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006 May 18.
- Bhattacharyya T, McCarty LP 3rd, Harris MB, Morrison SM, Wixted JJ, Vrahas MS, Smith RM. The posterior shearing tibial plateau fracture: treatment and results via a posterior approach. J Orthop Trauma. 2005 May-Jun;19(5):305-10.
- Gopal S, Giannoudis PV, Murray A, Matthews SJ, Smith RM. The functional outcome of severe, open tibial fractures managed with early fixation and flap coverage. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004 Aug;86(6):861-7.
- Syed AA, Agarwal M, Giannoudis PV, Matthews SJ, Smith RM. Distal femoral fractures: long-term outcome following stabilisation with the LISS Injury. 2004 Jun;35(6):599-607.
- Giannoudis PV, Hinsche AF, Cohen A, Macdonald DA, Matthews SJ, Smith RM. Segmental tibial fractures: an assessment of procedures in 27 cases. Injury. 2003 Oct;34(10):756-62.
The primary purpose of this Initiative is to foster collaboration amongst the orthopedic trauma services at all four Harvard-affiliated teaching hospitals in Boston: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center; Boston Children’s Hospital; Brigham and Women’s Hospital; and Massachusetts General Hospital.
Running a marathon was Alfred Buccilli's dream growing up in Revere, Mass.
MGH Hotline 4.12.10 When he saw the tragic events unfold in Haiti, MGH Urology resident Audley Osbourne, MD, could not simply witness the devastation without doing something to help.
In the hours and days following the Haiti earthquake, Mass General has mobilized to offer assistance to those affected by disaster -- both the victims in Haiti and their family members and friends in the Mass General community who are struggling to cope with the ordeal.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3C
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-726-9111
Phone 2: 617-726-2794