- Clinical Interests
- perinatal mood and anxiety disorders
- planning for pregnancy
- Menopausal transition
- premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Medical Education
- MD, Northwestern University Medical School
- Residency, Harvard Longwood Psychiatry Residency Training Program
- Fellowship, University of Cincinnati
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Behavioral Health
- United Behavioral Health - MGH
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Marlene P. Freeman, M.D. is the Associate Medical Director, Clinical Trials Network & Institute;Director of Clinical Services, Perinatal and Reproductive Psychiatry Program, Massachusetts General Hospital; Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Freeman completed medical school at Northwestern University Medical School. She completed residency at the Harvard Longwood Psychiatry Residency Program and a research fellowship in the Biological Psychiatry Program at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
Her research and clinical expertise is in the areas of mood disorders and women's mental health. She established and directed Women's Mental Health Programs at the University of Arizona and the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
As a researcher in perinatal psychiatry, she has specific experience working with vulnerable populations. She also has extensive experience in the area of safety, recruitment, and retention of women in clinical trials. She is Vice Editor-in-Chief for The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.
She is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (APA), and chaired the APA Task Force on Complementary and Alternative Medicine, subcommittee on Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Psychiatry, and was a member of the APA's workgroup on Major Depressive Disorder treatment guidelines.
She is on the Board of Directors of the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology (ASCP) and Postpartum Progress, Inc, and is an Associate Member of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP). She chairs the Membership Advisory Task Force and serves on the Women's Task Force for ACNP.
Mood at Midlife
Marlene Freeman, MD, the associate director of the Center for Women's Mental Health, discusses depressive conditions that affect women including the menopause transition and premenstrual depressive dysphoric disorder in this talk from the 2018 Midlife Women's Health Community Conference.
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
Phone 1: 617-724-5600
Phone 2: 617-643-6403