- Centers & Specialties
- Neuro-Oncology (Brain)
- Clinical Interests
- Primary Nervous System Tumors
- Lymphomas of the nervous system
- Medical Education
- MD, Emory University School of Medicine
- MPH, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Memorial Hospital for Cancer and Allied Diseases
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General Waltham
- Existing Patients
- Patient Gateway
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Batchelor's research interests include the development of novel targeted therapeutics for glioblastomas and other primary tumors of the central nervous system.
Dr. Batchelor's main clinical interests include management of patients with primary tumors of the central nervous system including high-grade gliomas (glioblastoma, anaplastic astrocytoma, anaplastic oligodendroglioma, anaplastic ependymoma), low-grade gliomas (astrocytoma, oligodendroglioma, ependymoma), and primary CNS lymphomas.
- Research Summary
- A major emphasis of my research has been the development and implementation of experimental therapeutics for glioblastomas with an emphasis on targeted drugs. These studies serve as the basis of my NIH grants and all of my investigator-initiated trials include correlative biospecimen and imaging studies in collaboration with multiple HMS investigators. Our studies of cediranib, a pan-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor have led to important insights regarding the mechanism of action of VEGF inhibitors in glioblastomas. My initial NCI-funded study of cediranib in recurrent glioblastoma has led to additional studies including an R01-funded phase Ib/II study in newly diagnosed glioblastoma.
Another component of my clinical research has focused on clinical investigations and therapeutic trials in primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL). I have served as principal investigator for institutional as well as NCI-sponsored multi-institutional trials of PCNSL. I am also the co-founder and co-chair of the International PCNSL Collaborative Group (IPCG), an international, multidisciplinary group of 120 investigators from 15 countries with research interests in this disease. I serve as the PI of an NCI-sponsored R13 grant that funds the annual IPCG meeting and I have led or participated in multiple international studies within this group. I am the editor of the only textbook dedicated exclusively to CNS lymphoma, which will be published in a 2nd edition in 2010.
- Batchelor TT, Betensky RA, Esposito JM, Pham L, Dorfman MV, Piscatelli N, Jhung S, Rhee D, Louis DN. Age-dependent prognostic effects of genetic alterations in glioblastoma. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 228-233
- Batchelor TT, Carson K, O'Neill A, Alavi J, New P, Grossman SA, Hochberg F, Priet R for the NABTT CNS Consortium. The treatment of primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL) with methotrexate and deferred radiotherapy: NABTT 96-07. J Clin Oncol 2003; 21: 1044-1049
- Batchelor TT, Sorensen AG, di Tomaso E, Zhang W-T, Duda DG, Cohen KS, Kozak KR, Cahill DP, Chen P-J, Zhu M, Ancukiewicz M, Mrugala M, Plotkin S, Drappatz J, Louis DN, Ivy P, Scadden DT, Benner T, Loeffler JS, Wen PY, Jain RK. AZD2171, a pan-VEGF and PDGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor normalizes tumor vasculature and alleviates edema in glioblastoma patients. Cancer Cell 2007; 11: 83-95
- Gerstner ER, Yip S, Wang DL, Louis DN, Iafrate AJ, Batchelor TT. MGMT methylation is a prognostic biomarker in elderly patients with new diagnosed glioblastoma. Neurology 2009; 73: 1509-1510
- Batchelor TT, Duda DG, di Tomaso E, Ancukiewicz M, Plotkin SR, Gerstner E, Eichler AF, Drappatz J, Hochberg FH, Louis DN, Cohen KS, Chea H, Exarhopoulos A, Loeffler JS, Moses MA, Ivy P, Sorensen AG, Wen PY, Jain RK. Phase II study of cediranib, an oral pan-VEGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with recurrent glioblastoma. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28: 2817-2823
Advanced imaging techniques may be able to distinguish which patients' tumors will respond to treatment with anti-angiogenic drugs and which will not.
MGH Hotline 1.28.11 In General
MGH Hotline 12.10.10 When her father John was diagnosed with a glioblastoma in June 2009, 10-year-old Elana Sargent wanted to find a way to help.
Neurology Bicentennial Celebration 2011 II HD
Neurology Bicentennial Celebration, October 13, 2011. Clinical and research presentations on Huntington’s Disease, Epilepsy, and Neuro-Oncology.
Neurology Bicentennial Celebration, 2011 Part II
Neurology Bicentennial Celebration, October 13, 2011. Clinical and research presentations on ALS, Stroke, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Parkinson’s Disease
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
52 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451