- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Viral hepatitis
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Abnormal liver function tests
- Chronic Liver Diseases
- EGD and colonoscopy
- Medical Education
- MD, MPH, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Danvers: The Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
- Existing Patients
- Patient Gateway
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Schaefer is a graduate of Columbia Medical School (New York, NY) where she received her M.D. and M.P.H. She completed both her Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology training at Massachusetts General Hospital, and is an Instructor on the faculty of Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Schaefer has clinical expertise in liver disease (hepatology): from abnormal liver tests to cirrhosis end-stage liver disease. She sees patients with all types of liver disease including viral hepatitis, fatty liver disease, alcoholic liver disease, autoimmune liver disease, and biliary liver diseases. She also performs upper endoscopies, as well as diagnostic and screening colonoscopy.
Dr. Schaefer is actively engaged in basic and translational research in viral hepatitis C and in non-alcoholic fatty liver.
- Research Summary
- Dr. Schaefer's research centers around the role of lipid metabolism during infection with the hepatitis C virus, and the roles of hypoxia (low oxygen levels), lipid metabolism, and small RNA molecules in the development of non-alcoholic fatty liver.
- Peng LF, Schaefer EA, Maloof N, et al. Ceestatin, a Novel Small Molecule Inhibitor of Hepatitis C Virus Replication, Inhibits 3-Hydroxy-3Methylglutaryl-Coenzyme A Synthase. J Infect Disease 2011.
- Rodgers MA, Villareal VA, Schaefer EA, et al. Lipid Metabolite Profiling Identifies Desmosterol Metabolism as a New Antiviral Target for Hepatitis C Virus. J Am Chem Soc 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Anti-hepatitis C virus drugs in development. Gastroenterology 2012.
- Ding Q, Lee Y, Schaefer EA, et al. A TALEN genome editing system for generating human stem cell based disease models. Cell Stem Cell 2013.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. HIV and HCV Coinfection: Where are we in 2010? Current Hepatitis Reports 2010.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. The Impact of human gene polymorphisms on HCV infection and disease outcome. Semin Liver Dis 2011.
- Schaefer EA and Pratt DS. Autoimmune hepatitis: current challenges in diagnosis and management in a chronic progressive liver disease. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. HCV and Host Lipids, an intimate connection. Semin Liver Dis, 2013.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Virology and Immunology of Hepatitis Viruses. Clinical Care Options Hepatology 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Dienstag J. Viral Hepatitis. ACP Internal Medicine.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Development of HCV Drugs. Viral Hepatitis.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
165 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114