- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Melanoma surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
- Skin cancer
- Merkel cell carcinoma
- Medical Education
- MD, PhD, Thomas Jefferson University
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Board Certifications
- Complex General Surgical Oncology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Genevieve M. Boland, MD, PhD, FACS is an Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School and Director of the Melanoma Surgery Program at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Her primary clinical focus is on melanoma and cutaneous oncology. She undertook combined MD/PhD training, completing a PhD in Cell and Tissue Engineering at the National Institutes of Health focusing on signaling pathways in adult, human mesenchymal stem cells.
She graduated cum laude from Thomas Jefferson University as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and completed her general surgical training at Massachusetts General Hospital. Following this, she completed a clinical fellowship in Complex General Surgical Oncology and a combined research fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. She joined the MGH Division of Surgical Oncology and is focused on the clinical management of skin cancer patients. She is board certified in General Surgery and Complex General Surgical Oncology, and she is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Boland has received many awards including the American Surgical Association Foundation Fellowship, the Association of Women Surgeons Research Fellowship, the Harvard Catalyst Medical Research Investigator Training Award, the Karin Grunebaum Cancer Foundation Fellowship, and the Society of Surgical Oncology Clinical Investigator Award. She is Director of the Surgical Oncology Research Laboratories and an Associate Member of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. Her laboratory is currently focused on molecular profiling of melanoma, characterization of molecular and immunological changes that occur during immunotherapy, and the identification of circulating biomarkers of cancer.
- Research Summary
Dr. Boland's research focuses on questions relating to melanoma genetics, biology, and immunology using genomic, transcriptomic, and proteomic approaches to profiling patient-derived samples.
Current Research Interests:
- Identification of circulating biomarkers of melanoma/cancer including circulating exosomes and/or ctDNA.
- Analysis of treatment-related effects on the tumor and microenvironment, including changes occurring during treatment with immunotherapy.
- Differential responses to immunotherapy and molecular/immunonological causes for heterogeneous responses to checkpoint blockade.
- The combined use of surgery and systemic therapy for treatment of high risk melanoma patients.
Learn more about what Genevieve Boland, MD, PhD, does and who inspired her to enter the health care field.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696