- Clinical Interests
- Sports medicine
- Regenerative medicine
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Preventive medicine
- Integrative medicine
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Sports injuries of the spine
- Shoulder & elbow injuries
- Knee injuries
- Ankle injuries
- Hand, wrist, elbow, finger, tendon pain and injuries
- Medical Education
- MD, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Residency, New York Presbyterian Columbia Campus
- Fellowship, Spine and Sports Medicine of New York|Fellowship, Stanford University Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Sports Medicine
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Spaulding Rehabilitation Center
- Brighton: Spaulding Rehabilitation Center
- Charlestown: Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
- Existing Patients
- Patient Gateway
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Ahmed joins us with extensive experience in athletic coverage, including professional events, and injury management across all levels of athletes. Specializing in non-surgical sports and spine medicine, Dr. Ahmed received her medical degree from the Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar, where she was also peer selected as the recipient of the Good Physician Award (“He/She that demonstrates those qualities of an ideal physician”). She completed her residency training in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Weill Cornell Medical College and Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Dr. Ahmed then pursued an interventional spine and musculoskeletal fellowship at a private practice in New York City’s bustling midtown Manhattan followed by a sports medicine fellowship at Stanford University, one of the country’s most prestigious programs.
With a Master of Science in human genetics as well as training in integrative medicine, she brings a unique understanding and approach to diagnosis, treatment and prevention of sports injuries. Dr. Ahmed’s treatment philosophy is one that incorporates and optimizes an individual’s nutritional status and lifestyle to cultivate and promote tissue healing, prevent injury and optimize performance. This approach in conjunction with her skill sets in regenerative orthopedics, diagnostic and interventional ultrasound has frequently resulted in profound success stories.
Dr. Ahmed’s research focus is on sports genetics and nutritional genomics. She is passionate about improving our understanding of the role of genetics in musculoskeletal injury risk as well as the molecular mechanisms that underlie physical performance, cellular aging, injury and repair. In the dawning age of genetic testing, Dr. Ahmed’s work is pioneering and paving her path as an expert in the emerging field of sports genomics.
- Ahmed M, Panagos A. Intra-Articular Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma Hip Injection May Result in Osteogenesis Depicted as an Increase in Femoral Neck Bone Density. Open Journal of Regenerative Medicine January 2014; 03(02):39-42. DOI: 10.4236/ojrm.2014.32005.
- Kim, Stuart K., Thomas R. Roos, Andrew K. Roos, John P. Kleimeyer, Marwa A. Ahmed, Gabrielle T. Goodlin, Michael Fredericson, John P. A. Ioannidis, Andrew L. Avins, and Jason L. Dragoo. "Genome-wide Association Screens for Achilles Tendon and ACL Tears and Tendinopathy." Plos One3 (2017). Print. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170422.
- Roos, Andrew, Andy Avins, Marwa A. Ahmed, John Kleimeyer, Thomas Roos, Michael Fredericson, John Ioannidis, Jason Dragoo, and Stuart Kim. "Two Genetic Loci Associated with Medial Collateral Ligament Injury." International Journal of Sports Medicine (2017). Print. DOI: 1055/s-0043-104853.
- Kim, Stuart K., John P. Kleimeyer, Marwa A. Ahmed, Andy Avins, Michael Fredericson, Jason Dragoo, and John Ioannidis. “Two Genetic Loci Associated with Ankle Injury.” Plos One, vol. 12, no. 9, 2017, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0185355.
- Kim, Stuart K, Marwa A. Ahmed, Andy Avins and John Ioannidis. “A Genetic Marker Associated with De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis.” International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 38, no. 12, June 2017, pp. 942–948., doi:10.1055/s-0043-116669.
20 Guest Street
Brighton, MA 02135-2040
294 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02108
300 First Avenue
Charlestown, MA 02129-3109