- Centers & Specialties
- Medical Education
- MD, Baylor College of Medicine
- PhD, Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency, Green Hospital of Scripps Clinic
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital|Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Existing Patients
- Patient Gateway
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Pediatric and Adult
- Provider Gender
Patrick Whelan MD PhD is a member of the Pediatrics Faculty at Harvard Medical School. He is an arthritis specialist in both pediatrics and adult medicine, in practice at MGH since 1999. His PhD thesis work, performed at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, presented an early characterization of the "immunologic synapse" and the health consequences of its absence in children with leukocyte adhesion deficiency (LAD). He undertook fellowship training in rheumatology at Brigham & Women's and Children's Hospital, and subsequently completed a fellowship in AIDS Oncology at MGH. His research interests include unusual vasculopathies affecting children and primary causes of the rheumatic diseases, and he has also done work on the interface between medical ethics and public policy. His 2010 article dealing with implementation of the Affordable Care Act was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Sharma S, Whelan P, etal. Degos disease in pregnancy. Obs Med 2016. Epub 6/2/2016.
- Shapiro L, Whelan P, Magro C. Case 18-2014: A man with a rash, myalgia, and weakness. NEJM. 2014;371(14):1361.
- Gaffney EM, Kmiec DW, Whelan JP. America Undecided (Los Angeles: Amazon Press, 2012), 243 pp. Medicolegal and bioethical analysis of political opposition to the 2010 Affordable Care Act.
- Hill CA, Whelan P, et al. Clinical Problem Solving. Arch ORL, Head & Neck Surg. 2012;138(3):317-319.
- Whelan P. Abortion Rates and Universal Health Care. NEJM 2010:362(13)e45.
- Whelan JP & A Zembowicz. CPC: A 22-Month-old boy with the rapid growth of firm subcutaneous nodules. NEJM. 2006: 354:2697-2704.
- Whelan P. Link between RA and cancer. Z Rheum. 2006;65:497-504.
- Whelan P. Clin manifestations and diagnosis of rheum vasculitis. 2017;25.1. www.uptodate.com
- Whelan P. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of rheum vasculitis. 2017;25.1. www.uptodate.com
- Whelan P. Treatment of rheum vasculitis. 2017;25.1. www.uptodate.com
- Whelan P. Zika Virus Infection. LA Ped Society. 2016;3(1)
- Whelan P. When not to worry about HSP. LA Ped Society. 2014;1(1)
- Whelan P, Childhood uveitis, In: Childhood Uveitis, C. Stephen Foster et al., eds. 2011; chapter 7.
- Whelan JP & DT Scadden. Cancer in the Immunosuppressed Patient, In: Oncology: An Evidence-Based Approach. 2006; ch 96.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Phone 1: 617-726-6292
Phone 2: 617-726-9381