Dr. Babu is a neurosurgeon with expertise as a neurotraumatologist and neurointensivist. She is an advocate for strengthening trauma networks and improving care for patients with traumatic brain injury, spine fractures, spinal cord injury, and post-traumatic pain. She serves as the Director of Adult Neurotrauma at Massachusetts General Hospital, has an appointment at Harvard Medical School, and is an Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant for the National Football League.
- Clinical Interests
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spine fractures
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH)
- Restorative neurotechnology
- Neurocritical Care
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Spinal cord stimulation for pain management
- Brain and spinal cord tumors
- Spine Surgery: disc excision, laminectomy, fusions
- Spasticity Management
- Facial trauma
- Cervical myelopathy
- Chiari malformation
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Mayo Clinic
- Fellowship, Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Existing Patients
- Patient Gateway
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
A native of Eagan, Minnesota, Maya Babu, MD, MBA attended college at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, receiving a BS in neuroscience and BA in psychology, both summa cum laude with highest distinction in 2005. Dr. Babu attended Harvard Medical School and received an MD cum laude in 2010. She also attended Harvard Business School, where she received her MBA in 2010.
She has completed a neurocritical care enfolded CAST fellowship (2016) neurosurgical residency at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota (2017), and Neurotrauma fellowship at Ryder Trauma Center/Jackson Memorial Hospital at the University of Miami, Miami, Florida (2018).
She served on the Board of Trustees of the American Medical Association from 2013 to 2017, serves on the Advisory Council for Neurologic Surgery for the American College of Surgeons, served on the Board of Directors of the National Resident Matching Program from 2014 to 2017, and was named a Visiting Scholar by the American Board of Medical Specialties from 2015 to 2016. She chairs the Neuroscience Caucus of the American Medical Association House of Delegates.
She presently serves as Director of Adult Neurotrauma at the Massachusetts General Hospital with an appointment at Harvard Medical School. She serves as an Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant for the National Football League.
Her clinical interests include treating patients with traumatic brain and spine injuries, post-traumatic pain, neurosurgical pain disorders, brain tumors, degenerative spine disorders, spinal tumors and spinal cord stimulator implantation.
Her research interests include evaluating the human and financial impact of legislation, traumatic brain and spinal cord injury, industry-physician transparency, efficiency in healthcare delivery, operating room sustainability, medical ethics and surgical leadership.
- Research Summary
Dr. Babu's research interests include evaluating the human and financial impact of legislation, traumatic brain and spinal cord injury, industry-physician transparency, efficiency in healthcare delivery, operating room sustainability, medical ethics and surgical leadership.
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117