Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Gastroenterology Assoc/Digestive Health Center
165 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
- MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health
- Residency, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Fellowship, Medical College of Wisconsin
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
My research is focused on the epidemiology and outcomes of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases. I am involved in studies that are aimed to better understand the risk factors (including diet and environment) for developing Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. This will help us better understand the pathogenesis of these conditions which will eventually lead to novel treatments. I am also conducting clinical research that examines the course of disease and response to various therapies with the aim of developing predictive models that can be used both to inform about disease course as well the likelihood of response to specific therapy. I am interested in novel tools to monitor disease activity and identify complications. I participate in clinical trials related to inflammatory bowel diseases. I am also involved in various research projects using large datasets to determine patterns of care and outcome as they relate to gastroenterology.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Higuchi LM, Huang ES, Khalili H, Richter JM, Fuchs CS, Chan AT. 2012. Aspirin, Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug Use, and Risk for Crohn Disease and Ulcerative Colitis: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med 156: 350-9.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Khalili H, Higuchi LM, Bao Y, Korzenik JR, Giovannucci EL, Richter JM, Fuchs CS, Chan AT. 2012. Higher predicted vitamin d status is associated with reduced risk of Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 142: 482-9.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Hur C, Juillerat P, Korzenik JR. 2011. Strategies for the prevention of postoperative recurrence in Crohn's disease: results of a decision analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 106: 2009-17.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, McGinley EL, Binion DG, Saeian K. 2011. Ambient air pollution correlates with hospitalizations for inflammatory bowel disease: an ecologic analysis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 17: 1138-45.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, McGinley EL, Binion DG. 2009. Inflammatory bowel disease in the elderly is associated with worse outcomes: a national study of hospitalizations. Inflamm Bowel Dis 15: 182-9.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Weber LR, Knox JF, Skaros S, Emmons J, Lundeen S, Issa M, Otterson MF, Binion DG. 2008. Permanent work disability in Crohn's disease. Am J Gastroenterol 103: 154-61.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, McGinley EL, Binion DG. 2008. Excess hospitalisation burden associated with Clostridium difficile in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Gut 57: 205-10.