Department of Medicine
If you are a Mass General clinician and you would like to refer a patient to Home Hospital, please page the Alternative Pathways Navigator at 29694. Admissions are accepted seven days a week.
Learn More about Home Hospital
What Is Home Hospital?
Home Hospital is based on our patients' strong desire to maximize their time at home. When illness develops and is significant enough to require a hospital stay, Home Hospital is able to provide similar care for patients at home and avoid time in the hospital.
You can think of Home Hospital as sending the hospital home with you. Home Hospital is more advanced than traditional home health care. Just like if you were staying in the hospital, you will have several visits with our clinicians each day to treat your condition until you are safe enough to return to your regular clinical team.
Mass General Home Hospital has been operational since April 2017. Common conditions treated by Home Hospital include congestive heart failure, COPD, pneumonia, skin infections such as cellulitis, and urinary tract infections. The Home Hospital team is able to treat other conditions at home if deemed safe to do so.
In addition to care specific to your medical condition, Home Hospital can provide you with:
- Vital sign monitoring (heart rate, blood pressure)
- Lab testing
- Intravenous (IV) fluids and medications
- Continuous heart monitoring
What to Expect
When admitted to Home Hospital from the emergency room or the hospital, you will be sent from Mass General directly to your home and someone from the Home Hospital Care Team will meet you there. After you get settled at home, your care team will talk to you about when daily follow-up visits will occur. The team will do their best to accommodate your schedule, but the timing of the visits depends on the timing of your medication and your clinical needs.
How long you will be treated depends on your condition and care plan. For most patients, it is usually three to five days.
When you are ready to be "discharged" from Home Hospital, your Home Hospital care team will evaluate whether you will need ongoing visiting nurse visits, home physical therapy, or other services.
My Care TeamYour Home Hospital care team remains in close contact throughout your Home Hospital stay. Your primary care provider or Mass General specialist will also be in communication with the Home Hospital team regarding your care and your progress.
- Your doctor: A Mass General doctor (MD) will oversee your care and make at least one home visit during your Home Hospital stay
- Your physician assistant or nurse practitioner: A Mass General physician assistant (PA) or nurse practitioner (NP) will visit you daily in your home and is available by phone 24 hours a day
- Your nurse: A Mass General Brigham at Home registered nurse (RN) will visit you in your home twice per day
- Paramedics: A specially trained paramedic may visit you under the direction of your providers during your Home Hospital stay depending on your care plan
Mass General will bill your insurance for Home Hospital care. You may be responsible for copays or other costs based on your insurance plan.
See Our Care Teams in Action
Meet the Team
Our Advanced Practice Providers
Ryanne Coulson, PA
Kirsten Dickins, NP
Helen Le, PA
Christina Palmieri, NP
Cristina Portugal, NP
Amy Costa, RN, BSN
Jodi Fitzpatrick, RN, BSN
Christine Parker, RN