After a three-year hiatus because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 31st annual Richard J. Smith Memorial Lectureship and the 8th Annual Jesse Jupiter International Forum brought surgeons from around the globe to Boston for in-person presentations, roundtable conversations and networking.
Chaitanya Mudgal, MD, MS
Chaitanya Mudgal, MD, MS
Hand & Arm Orthopaedic Surgeon
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Hand & Arm Service
55 Fruit St.
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
Hand & Arm Service at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
3rd Floor, Suite 3300
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, L.T.M. Medical College
- Residency, Children's Hospital
- Residency, Harvard / MGB Combined Training Program*
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Residency, University of Bombay - LTMG Hospital
- Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Mudgal's research focuses on the identification of complex injury patterns, the evaluation of existing treatment methods and the development of new treatments, both surgical and non-surgical, in order to maximize outcomes. He specializes in a wide array of hand and upper arm disorders, from fractures to tendon and nerve injuries to neurologic disorders. Below are selected highlights from Dr. Mudgal’s extensive research and teaching agenda.
- AO Trauma Hand Series
- PIP fractures - 1:29:13 - 1:34:20
- Scaphoid fracture diagnosis - 30:44 - 45:31
- Radiocarpal Dislocations - 1:05:57 - 1:20:46
- Tendon Transfers in the Upper Limb
- Complex Distal Radius - 1:04:39 - 1:19:45
- Malunion Distal Radius - 09:15 - 21:55 and 44:44 - 56:11
- Metacarpal Fractures - 2:42 - 13:41 and 1:07:44 - 1:19:56
- Scaphoid Fracture - 2:06 - 16:48 and 1:25:17 - 1:37:14
- Extensor Tendon: Repair and Rehabilitation - 58:30 - 1:23:15
- Management of the SLAC / SNAC wrist - 3:45 - 14:42
- Fractures of the distal radius - 360 degrees
- Volar lunate facet fracture - 30:17 - 43:26
- Tendon ruptures about the wrist - 1:53 - 41:20
- Tosti R, Hozack BA, Mudgal CS. Tension Band Wiring in Upper Extremity Surgery. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020 Dec 15;28(24):1009-1016.
- Garg R, Mudgal C. Galeazzi Injuries. Hand Clin. 2020 Nov;36(4):455-462.
- Gardenier J, Garg R, Mudgal C. Upper Extremity Tendon Transfers: A Brief Review of History, Common Applications, and Technical Tips. Indian J Plast Surg. 2020 Aug;53(2):177-190.
- Özkan S, Mudgal CS, Jupiter JB, Bloemers FW, Chen NC. Scapholunate Diastasis in Distal Radius Fractures: Fracture Pattern Analysis on CT Scans. J Wrist Surg. 2020 Aug;9(4):338-344.
Related News and Articles
- Patient Story
- Jul | 7 | 2021
As a lifelong competitive athlete, Sasha has experienced three bike crashes. He received care at multiple Mass General locations over several years and worked with teams of orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists to build a multidisciplinary approach to his recovery.
- Aug | 10 | 2018
“There is an old Indian proverb, ‘many drops make a lake,’ ” says Chaitanya Mudgal, MD, a hand and upper extremity orthopædic surgeon at the MGH. “These are just some of those drops.”