Cozy up with a bowl of this warm squash soup as the temperatures and the leaves begin to drop. This recipe incorporates in-season delicata squash, lots of warming spices and is packed with fiber and plant-based protein from the lentils.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium delicata or butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed well
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Heat soup pot over medium heat, then add the olive oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté until the onion is translucent, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Add the carrots, celery, squash, and another pinch of salt and sauté until all of the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes. Add the lentils and stir to coat.
- Pour in ½ cup of the broth, stirring to loosen any bits stuck to the pot. Add the rest of the broth. Increase the heat until boiling.
- Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the chopped kale until it’s tender, about 3 minutes. Add salt to taste and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Rebecca Katz.