In 1811, the founders of the MGH had a dream: to construct a hospital to provide round-the-clock, state-of-the-art health care and support medical education. To make this lofty vision a reality, they launched a fundraising campaign, bringing in gifts from 25 cents to $20,000 – and even accepted one donation in the form of a 273-pound sow.
Since that dream was realized, the institution has continued to stand proudly, rooted in the promise of providing hope, healing and care as its commitment has grown to serve a worldwide community.
Over those two centuries, Mass General is fortunate to have had a generous community of staff, patients, families and donors. Among those steadfast and transformative supporters are Phillip and Susan Ragon, who have made a monumental contribution toward the construction of the new Cambridge Street Project – which will now be named the Phillip and Susan Ragon Building.
This naming recognizes the extraordinary generosity of the Ragons, whose history of philanthropy through the Ragon Institute has already transformed the landscape of translational research in immunology to prevent and cure human disease. Their most recent gift will now transform patient care at the MGH during its third century.
The nearly 2 million square-foot building will feature two towers with 482 single-bed inpatient rooms and serve as the home to the Corrigan Minehan Heart Center and the Mass General Cancer Center, while unlocking many other existing spaces across Mass General’s campus. The new facility is designed with input from staff, patients and their families, and will feature many amenities and modern spaces for clinical care, support services, education and research.