Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Vincent Obstetrics and Gynecology Service
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, University of Washington Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Obstetrics & Gynecology, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
There are more bacterial cells in and on our bodies than human cells, and we are learning that these bacteria can have a profound influence on our health.The goal of the Mitchell Lab is to understand how vaginal microbes influence reproductive health and disease. Our current projects include:
- Dr. Mitchell is part of the MSFLASH menopause research network and was the first author of a report in JAMA Internal Medicine on a randomized trial of two treatments for menopausal vaginitis symptoms which showed similar efficacy between vaginal moisturizer, vaginal estrogen and placebo. Biologic samples from that same study will be used to evaluate the role of the vaginal microbiota after menopause.
- In 2019 Dr. Mitchell received a Harvard Catalyst Microbiome Pilot award to study the effects of microbiota on fertility outcomes
- A proposal focused on identifying characteristics of Lactobacillus species associated with beneficial reproductive health outcomes was the basis of Dr. Mitchell’s successful application for an MGH Claflin Scholar Award in 2015.
- The Domolky Innovation Award allowed Dr. Mitchell to initiate a study of vulvovaginal symptoms and the microbial community in women with inflammatory bowel disease, which is the first of its kind in this population.