William Tomford, MD
William Tomford, MD
Hip & Knee Replacement Orthopaedic Surgeon
Former Chief, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-8575
About William Tomford, MD
Dr. William Tomford is an accomplished surgeon and a leading authority on musculoskeletal tissue banking.
Dr. Tomford earned his BA from the University of North Carolina and his MD from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He trained at Johns Hopkins Hospital in general surgery and graduated from the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. Following his residency, he was a Scientific Investigator and Director of the U.S. Navy Tissue Bank at the Naval Medical Research Institute in Bethesda, Maryland.
Following his work at the Navy Medical Research Institute, Dr. Tomford became a faculty member at the Massachusetts General Hospital. He also was appointed as Director of the then-newly formed MGH Bone Bank. Dr. Tomford developed the clinical program at MGH in bone banking and transplantation. He has worked with the American Association of Tissue Banks to develop standards for banking bone and other musculoskeletal tissues. Dr. Tomford authored a book on tissue banking that is used nationally and internationally by those interested in the banking and transplantation of allografts in orthopaedics.
Dr. Tomford's clinical practice focuses on hip and knee replacement surgery.
- Arthritis surgery
- Bone and tissue bank
- Hip replacement
- Knee replacement
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Partial knee replacement
- Total hip replacement
- Total knee replacement
Hip & Knee Replacement Service
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Tomford's research interests are in musculoskeletal tissue banking. As the Director, the MGH Bone Bank has provided more than 3,000 allografts to surgeons at MGH. Each of these grafts can be traced from donors to recipients, and records are maintained on over 600 donors.
Dr. Tomford is considered an authority on musculoskeletal tissue banking. He has written a textbook on the subject, and continues to do research and to lecture throughout the world on orthopaedic allografts. Additionally, Dr. Tomford has helped start and/or served as a consultant to bone banks in Japan, China, Thailand, Korea, Israel, Italy, Norway, Brazil and Spain as well as numerous bone banks in the US.
- Lewandrowski KU, Hile DD, Thompson BM, Wise DL, Tomford WW, Trantolo DJ. Quantitative measures of osteoinductivity of a porous poly(propylene fumarate) bone graft extender. Tissue Eng. 2003 Feb;9(1):85-93.
- Lewandrowski KU, Bondre S, Hile DD, Thompson BM, Wise DL, Tomford WW, Trantolo DJ. Porous poly(propylene fumarate) foam coating of orthotopic cortical bone grafts for improved osteoconduction. Tissue Eng. 2002 Dec;8(6):1017-27.
- Fox EJ, Hau MA, Gebhardt MC, Hornicek FJ, Tomford WW, Mankin HJ. Long-term followup of proximal femoral allografts. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002 Apr;(397):106-13.
- Lewandrowski KU, Schollmeier G, Ekkemkamp A, Uhthoff HK, Tomford WW. Incorporation of perforated and demineralized cortical bone allografts. Part II: A mechanical and histologic evaluation. Biomed Mater Eng. 2001;11(3):209-19.
- Lewandrowski KU, Schollmeier G, Ekkemkamp A, Uhthoff HK, Tomford WW. Incorporation of perforated and demineralized cortical bone allografts. Part I: radiographic and histologic evaluation. Biomed Mater Eng. 2001;11(3):197-207.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
Hear from Dafang Zhang, MD
In this interview, Brigham & Women’s Hospital surgeon Dafang Zhang, MD, discusses Mass General Brigham’s Brachial Plexus Program in depth.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings