W Stephen Black-Schaffer, MD
W Stephen Black-Schaffer, MD
Associate Chief, Education and Training
Associate Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MAPhone: 617-643-0800
About W Stephen Black-Schaffer, MD
Stephen Black-Schaffer, MD, is Associate Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School and Associate Chief of Pathology at Mass General, Pathology Residency Training Program Director, and a surgical pathologist and cytopathologist.
Steve is a past chair of the Program Directors Section at the Association of Pathology Chairs. He is chair of the ACGME Cytopathology Milestone Working Group; led the Pathologists Workforce Summit Group for the College of American Pathologists (CAP) in 2013; is vice-chair of CAP's Economic Affairs Committee and on CAP's Accountable Care Organization Steering Committee and Council on Governmental and Professional Affairs. He is the Medicare Contractor Advisory Committee (CAC) representative for the Massachusetts Society of Pathologists, of which he is a past president. He is chair of Massachusetts General Physicians Organization's Managed Care and Contracting Committee, and the Mass General Brigham Physician Fee Council, and a member of Mass General Brigham's Pioneer Accountable Care Organization (ACO) Governing Council.
- Gynecologic pathology
Mass General Pathology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Indiana University
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
- Pathology Recertification, American Board of Pathology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Research interests include:
- Cytopathology diagnosis and practice
- Pathology graduate medical education
- Management and organization in academic pathology
- Interaction between finance and regulation and the practice of pathology
View Dr. Black-Schaffer's profile at Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center.
- The Pathology Milestones and the Next Accreditation System. Naritoku WY, Alexander CB, Bennett BD, Black-Schaffer WS, Brissette M, Grimes MM, Hoffman RD, Hunt J, Iezzoni J, Johnson R, Kozel J, Mendoza R, Post MD, Powell SZ, Procop GW, Steinberg JJ, Thorsen L, Nestler SP. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014; 138(3):307-15.
- Utilization management in anatomic pathology. Lewandrowski K, Black-Schaffer S. Clin Chim Acta 2014; 427:183-7.
- The business of genomic testing: a survey of early adopters. The business of genomic testing: a survey of early adopters. Crawford JM, Bry L, Pfeifer J, Caughron SK, Black-Schaffer S, Kant JA, Kaufman JH. Genet Med 2014 Jul 10. doi: 10.1038/gim.2014.60. [Epub ahead of print]
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
Did you know?
The Dermatopathology Unit at the Massachusetts General Hospital, led by Dr. Mai Hoang, is a world leader in diagnostic dermatopathology!
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings