Brain and Body Program
Explore This Treatment Program
The Brain and Body Program at Massachusetts General Hospital is dedicated to providing evidence-based medical care to former NFL players to help them develop and maintain a healthy brain and body.
Our multidisciplinary team has extensive experience treating NFL players. Our team includes experts in the diagnosis and treatment of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and other debilitating injury conditions.
We work closely with each player to provide a personalized, comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan that targets and reduces potential health risks and promotes overall wellness. The program focuses on diagnosis through evaluation and testing of cognitive, physical, emotional, neuropsychological and functional tasks. We also offer medication management, counseling, behavior modification, continuity of care and lifestyle management.
Integrated Multidisciplinary Care from Experts in the Field
The team of experts in the Brain & Body Program includes:
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians
- Psychiatrists, psychologists and sports psychologists
- Neurologists and neuropsychologists
- Orthopedists and sports medicine physicians
- Internal medicine physicians
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Social workers and life care consultants
Each player is assigned a neurotrauma rehabilitation specialist who will ensure rapid access to medical care and facilitate communication. Following your initial evaluation, you will receive an individualized treatment plan with resources to access the recommended treatments. We will also follow up with you after your initial evaluation.
If you wish to include your significant other or family members, our team can provide education concerning any medical conditions identified during your evaluation and the recommended treatments, as well as family counseling services.
Our neurotrauma rehabilitation specialist Beth Adams, MEd, LRC schedules appointments for each player, assists you in navigating the Mass General Brain and Body Program and coordinates all follow-up care.
Each player in the Brain and Body Program completes a pre-visit clinical intake to identify all services that are needed. These services will vary based on the needs of the individual. These services may include:
- Evaluation by a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician
- Evaluation with a psychologist or psychiatrist
- Neurological evaluation by a neurologist
- Neuropsychological evaluation to assess brain function
- Musculoskeletal rehabilitation evaluation
- Internal medicine evaluation
- Cardiology evaluation
- Physical or occupational therapy evaluation
- Speech and language evaluation
- Body composition evaluation & dietary consultation by an exercise physiologist and sports nutritionist
- Transition and life skills counseling to successfully transition to life after football
- Marriage or family counseling
- Musculoskeletal and brain imaging
- Blood work
Recommendations for treatments and strategies to enhance cognitive efficiency will also be provided.
Going Above and Beyond
In addition to expert medical care, the Brain & Body Program also provides the following:
- Concierge-level service in a beautiful facility with access to state-of-the-art equipment
- Access to world-renowned experts and all Mass General services
- Ability to adjust your schedule in real-time if additional services are needed while you are on-site
- Team-based approach in development of a personalized treatment and follow-up plan based on evaluations and test results
- Coordination of follow-up care and collaboration with local and preferred healthcare providers
- Follow-up with the players to continue to advise players in regard to their recommendations
- Patient- and family-centered care
Please Note: The Brain & Body Program is open only to former NFL players. All patients must be referred through The Trust, a program of the NFL Players Association. Please contact The Trust to learn more or to be referred.
Other patients seeking treatment for concussion and related conditions, please contact the following departments at Mass General:
- Sports Concussion Clinic (pediatric patients)
- Department of Neurology (adult and pediatric patients)
The Brain & Body Program is supported by The Trust, a program launched in 2013 to help NFL players transition to post-career life.