Urology Research Lab - Chin-Lee Wu, MD, PhD
Urology Research Lab
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm M, T, W, F; 9:30 am to 4:00 pm Th
For appointments for patients who do not have a urologist: 617-726-3021
For administrative or residency program questions: 617-726-3010
Explore This Laboratory
The long-term goal of our urology research studies at Massachusetts General Hospital is to develop new diagnostic methods and therapeutic regiments for urologic cancers. We are in the process of identifying molecular and genetic changes of these cancers that correlate with the cancer disease behaviors, both clinically and pathologically.
Our laboratory, supported by Urology, Pathology and the Mass General Cancer Center, enjoys extensive collaborations with other members of the researcher community both locally or around the world. We often provide clinical, research and technical expertise as well as pathology specimens to these collaborative studies.
- Shulin Wu, MD, PhD
- Sharron X. Lin, PhD
- Min Zhang, MD, PhD
- Haitao Liu, MD
- Sandra D. Kirley, BS
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death of men in the US. We are interested in identifying the genes or gene expression profiles associated with the development, diagnosis and prognosis of prostate cancer.
Bladder cancer is responsible for more than 130,000 deaths annually worldwide and is the fifth most common solid malignancy in the United States. We are studying genes that are associated with bladder cancer progression.
Kidney cancer is difficult to screen and detect in its early stage when surgical treatment is most effective. We are interested in molecular markers that are associated with aggressive outcome of the cancer.
- Feldman AS, Banyard J, Wu C-L, McDougal W.S. and BR Zetter. Cystatin B as a tissue and urinary biomarker of bladder cancer recurrence and disease progression. Clinical Cancer Research, 2009;15(3):1024-31.
- Huang J, Wu S, Wu C-L, and Manning BD. Signaling events downstream of mTOR complex 2 are attenuated in cells and tumors deficient for the tuberous sclerosis complex tumor suppressors. Cancer Research 2009 69:6107-14
- Goel HL, Moro L, Murphy-Ullrich JE, Hsieh CC, Wu C-L, Jiang Z, Languino LR. Beta 1 integrin cytoplasmic variants differentially regulate expression of the anti-angiogenic extracellular matrix protein thrombospondin 1. Cancer Res. 2009 1;69(13):5374-82.
- Shackelford D, Vasquez D, Corbeil J, Wu S, Marttinen S, Aaltonen L, Leblanc M, Wu C-L, Vera D and Shaw R. mTOR and HIF-1 alpha-mediated tumor metabolism in an LKB1 mouse model of Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106(27):11137-42.
- Zhang HH, Huang J, Düvel K, Boback B, Wu S, Squillace RM, Wu C-L, Manning BD. Insulin stimulates adipogenesis through the Akt-TSC2-mTORC1 pathway. PLoS One. 2009 4:e6189.
- Kazuishi Kubota , Rana Anjum, Yonghao Yu, Ryan Kunz, Jannik Andersen, Manfred Kraus, Heike Keilhack, Ms. Kumiko Nagashima, Stefan Krauss, Cloud Paweletz, Ronald Hendrickson, Adam Feldman, Wu C-L, John Rush, Judit Villen. Steven Gygi. Sensitive multiplexed analysis of kinase activities and activity-based kinase identification. Nature Biotechnology Oct;27(10):933-40.
- Wilbur DC, Madi K, Colvin RB, Duncan LM, Faquin WC, Ferry JA, Frosch MP, Houser SL, Kradin RL, Lauwers GY, Louis DN, Mark EJ, Mino-Kenudson M, Misdraji J, Nielsen GP, Pitman MB, Rosenberg AE, Smith RN, Sohani AR, Stone JR, Tambouret RH, Wu CL, Young RH, Zembowicz A, Klietmann W. Whole-slide imaging digital pathology as a platform for teleconsultation: a pilot study using paired subspecialist correlations. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Dec;133(12):1949-53.
- Brent J. Passer, Chin-Lee Wu, Shulin Wu, Samuel D. Rabkin and Robert L. Martuza. Aalysis of genetically-engineered oncolytic herpes-simplex viruses in human prostate organotypic cultures. Gene Therapy. 2009 16, 1477–1482
- Donald S. Kaufman, M.D., W. Scott McDougal, M.D., Mukesh G. Harisinghani, M.D., and Chin-Lee Wu, M.D., Ph.D. A 77-Year-Old Man with Recurrent Transitional-Cell Carcinoma of the Ureter. New England J Med. 2009 361(13):1292-9.
- C.-L. Wu, K. W. Jordan, E. M. Ratai, J. Sheng, C. B. Adkins, E. M. DeFeo, B. G. Jenkins, L. Ying, W. S. McDougal, L. L. Cheng, Metabolomic imaging for human prostate cancer detection. Sci. Transl. Med. 2, 16ra8 (2010).
- McMahon GT, Blake MA, Wu C-L. A 75-year-old man with hypertension, hyperglycemia, and edema. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jan 14;362(2):156-66.
- Maxeiner A, Adkins CB, Zhang Y, Taupitz M, Halpern EF, McDougal WS, Wu CL, Cheng LL. Retrospective analysis of prostate cancer recurrence potential with tissue metabolomic profiles. Prostate. 2010 May 15;70(7):710-7.
- D P Kaul, C-L Wu, C B Adkins, K W Jordan, P Habbel, R T Peterson, W S McDougal, U Pohl, L L Cheng. Assessing Prostate Cancer Growth with mRNA of Spermine Anabolic Enzymes. Cancer Biology & Therapy. 2010 May 18;9 (9).
- Brent J. Passer, Tooba Cheema, Bingsen Zhou, Hiroaki Wakimoto, Cecile Zaupa, Shulin Wu, Chin-Lee Wu, Jim Noah, Qianjun Li, John Buolmwini, Yun Yen, Samuel D. Rabkin and Robert L. Martuza. A chemical library screen identifies the ENT1 antagonist’s dipyridamole and dilazep as amplifiers of oncolytic herpes simplex-1 virus replication. Cancer Res. 2010 May 15;70(10):3890-5.
- Yuet-Kin Leung, Hung-ming Lam, Shulin Wu, Dan Song, Linda Levin, Chin-lee Wu, and Shuk-Mei Ho. Estrogen receptor beta2 and beta5 are associated with poor prognosis 1 in prostate cancer and promote cancer cell migration and invasion. Endocrine Related Cancer. 2010 Jun 25;17(3):675-89.
- Shannon Stott, Richard Lee, Sunitha Nagrath, Min Yu, Lindsey Ulkus, Elizabeth Inserra, Matthew Ulman, Simeon Springer, Zev Nakamura, Dina Tsukov, Maria Kempner, Doug Dahl, Chin-Lee Wu, A. John Iafrate, Matthew Smith, Ronald G. Tompkins, Lecia V. Sequist, Mehmet Toner, Daniel A. Haber, Shyamala Maheswaran. Microfluidic isolation and molecular characterization of circulating tumor cells from patients with localized and metastatic prostate cancer. Sci. Transl. Med. 2010 Mar 1;2(25):25ra23.