Colleen had suffered from worsening heartburn and laryngitis for years. She began to suspect there was a correlation between her worsening laryngitis and her heartburn and knew she needed to find answers and a permanent resolution.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Division of Thoracic Surgery
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Columbia Univ. College of Physicians & Surgeons
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery), American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery, American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
My research is primarily related to outcomes of the diseases I treat. I am especially focused on esophageal cancer and participate in an international esophagectomy complications consensus group. I have published extensively on minimally invasive esophageal resections. I was also recently the editor of a textbook, Master Techniques in Surgery: Thoracic Surgery, describing detailed techniques of thoracic surgery with an international group of authors.
- Tapias-Vargas LF, Morse CR. Minimally Invasive Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy after Induction Therapy Yields Similar Early Outcomes to Surgery Alone. Innovations. 2011 Sep;6(5):331-6
- Tapias-Vargas LF, Morse CR. A Preliminary Experience with Minimally Invasive Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy. Dis Esophagus. 2012 Jul;25(5):449-55.
- Sihag S, Wright CD, Wain JC, Lanuti M, Gaissert HA, Donahue DA, Mathisen DJ, Morse CR. Comparison of Perioperative Outcomes Following Open vs Minimally Invasive Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy at Single High-Volume Center. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012 Sep;42(3):430-7.
- Tapias-Vargas LF, Morse CR. Minimally invasive Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy: Description of a learning curve. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2014 Jun; 218(6):1130-40.