Berklee College of Music students have the opportunity to participate in full-time or part-time internships at the Mass General Cancer Center.
Massachusetts General Hospital is a Berklee College of Music-affiliated Music Therapy internship site. It offers a six-month full-time internship or a nine-month part-time internship. Music Therapy interns will provide services in the following areas:
- Pediatric Inpatient Units
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic
- Cancer Center: Adult Infusion
- Adult Oncology Inpatient Units
- Proton Therapy Center
- Adult Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
- Howard Ulfelder, MD, Healing Garden
You must be a student at the Berklee College of Music. Potential candidates for this internship site must successfully demonstrate the following skills:
- Clear demeanor and character
- Approachable and readable
- Demonstrates empathetic qualities in balance with clinical situation
- Body language, facial affect and spoken language are discernible and thoughtful
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English
- Accepts constructive feedback from supervisor with a willingness to learn, respect for training evaluations, and regard toward the challenges of the music therapy training process
- Understands differences of opinion and thoughtfully manages errors in judgment
- Communicates with supervisors to make certain they understand training materials, assignments, and expectations
- Confident ability in playing I, IV, V & V7 chords in C, G, E, A & D Major and E, A & D minor on guitar
- Confident ability in playing ii, iii and vi chords in C & G Major on guitar
- Barre Chords - F Major, Bb Major, B minor
- Stable and flexible strumming ability
- Ability to hear a melody and be able to reproduce it vocally
- Ability to hear a melody and be able to provide a solid, well-chosen harmony to it
- Creates an enjoyable conversation based on learning about the patient’s music history, experiences and preferences
- Ability to form an instant interest for the patient which captures their attention and engages the patient’s investment in music exploration and music relating
- Ability to create genuine rapport with the patient and their family, whereby they feel safe to express themselves and to choose to engage in a music relationship
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Applications should be submitted at least six months prior to the intended start.
Step 1: If you are interested in applying for this internship, please fill out this form and one of our staff members will contact you.
Step 2: After speaking with a member of our staff, you will be asked to submit:
- Letter of interest
- Three letters of reference (one from a recent practicum supervisor)
- Video link of you singing and playing guitar on your preferred song.
- Video link of you singing and playing guitar on Twinkle in C and G.
- Video link of you demonstrating your knowledge of I, IV, V, V7 in E as well as the F barre chord, B form barre chord and B minor barre chord.
Step 3: Upon receiving your application materials, the Music Therapy team at Mass General with evaluate your submissions. Potential candidates will hear back within three weeks, to then set up an in-person interview. If chosen for an interview, please be prepared to present with the following materials:
- If you have a primary instrument different than guitar/voice, present a piece played with that instrument.
- Present three additional songs on guitar and voice, one for an adult, teen, and young child.
- Demonstrate chord progression knowledge in keys of C, G, E, A and D.
- Play Twinkle, Twinkle in key of C and demonstrate ability to lead and follow musical cues while a staff member plays the drum/xylophone.
- In mock session environment, demonstrate your ability to establish a working relationship with one of our staff members.