Patient Education5 Minute ReadOct | 22 | 2019
Black Bean Soup Recipe
- Recommended for: Difficulty Swallowing, Taste Changes, High Calorie, High Protein, Constipation, Poor Appetite, Dry Mouth
- Serves 4
- Provides 400 kcal, 17 g protein per serving
Black Bean Soup with Cilantro Lime Crème
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups soaked black beans OR 2 cans low sodium black beans (drained)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 medium carrots
- ½ yellow onion
- 4 small sweet peppers or 1 large bell pepper (yellow, orange or red)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Spanish paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh lime zest
- Chop carrots, onion, garlic, peppers and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine spices - whisk together with fork until combined and set aside.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in large saucepan. Add onions, carrots, and pepper to saucepan and cook until slightly tender (about 7 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for another minute (until you can smell the garlic)
- Mix in corn, diced tomatoes, green chilies and black beans to pan. Add broth and spice mix to pan -stir until combined.
- Let simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes (or until vegetables are soft)
- While soup is simmering combine lime juice, zest, cilantro and yogurt in small bowl.
- Turn off heat and blend soup with immersion or standing blender to desired consistency (if soup is too thick add more broth as needed)
- Serve hot or cold and finish with dollop of cilantro lime crème (or a handful of tortilla chips for dipping!)
- Black beans are rich in fiber which can help to improve constipation – a common side effect of certain chemotherapies and many supportive medications.
- Another common side effect of cancer treatment is loss of taste- add extra garlic, chili powder, and cayenne for an extra punch of flavor!
- Want to bump up the calories? Top soup with ½ cup sliced avocado for an extra 120 calories from heart healthy fats!
Centers and Departments
Support the Mass General Cancer Center
Your gift will open new doors in outstanding patient care, research, clinical education and community outreach.
Supportive Care Services
Our support programs can help patients and their families cope with the challenges of a cancer diagnosis.
The Story Project
The Story Project is our effort to capture the stories from the people in our Mass General Cancer Center community.