- Recommended for: Difficulty Swallowing, Taste Changes, High Calorie, High Protein, Constipation, Poor Appetite, Dry Mouth
- Serves 4
- Provides 400 kcal, 17 g protein per serving
Black Bean Soup with Cilantro Lime Crème
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups soaked black beans OR 2 cans low sodium black beans (drained)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 medium carrots
- ½ yellow onion
- 4 small sweet peppers or 1 large bell pepper (yellow, orange or red)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp Spanish paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh lime zest
- Chop carrots, onion, garlic, peppers and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine spices - whisk together with fork until combined and set aside.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in large saucepan. Add onions, carrots, and pepper to saucepan and cook until slightly tender (about 7 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for another minute (until you can smell the garlic)
- Mix in corn, diced tomatoes, green chilies and black beans to pan. Add broth and spice mix to pan -stir until combined.
- Let simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes (or until vegetables are soft)
- While soup is simmering combine lime juice, zest, cilantro and yogurt in small bowl.
- Turn off heat and blend soup with immersion or standing blender to desired consistency (if soup is too thick add more broth as needed)
- Serve hot or cold and finish with dollop of cilantro lime crème (or a handful of tortilla chips for dipping!)
- Black beans are rich in fiber which can help to improve constipation – a common side effect of certain chemotherapies and many supportive medications.
- Another common side effect of cancer treatment is loss of taste- add extra garlic, chili powder, and cayenne for an extra punch of flavor!
- Want to bump up the calories? Top soup with ½ cup sliced avocado for an extra 120 calories from heart healthy fats!