How Can I Use My Loved One's Restricted Interests to Help Them at Home?
There are many ways you can use your loved one’s restricted interests to help them at home:
- Show interest in what your loved one enjoys. If they feel comfortable, encourage them to share what they love with you, family and friends.
- Respect your loved one’s preference for enjoying their restricted interests with others or by themselves.
- Look for teaching moments. For example, if your loved one enjoys a TV show, ask them what is happening and how it relates to their own life or experiences.
- Encourage back-and-forth communication. Sharing in your loved one’s restricted interests can help them develop conversation and social skills. It can also help them share their own point of view and understand others.
Learn More about Restricted Interests
- Do My Loved One's Restricted Interests Need to Be Fixed?
- Using Restricted Interests to Help Your Loved One at Home
Reviewed by the MGHfC Family Advisory Council
This webpage is intended to provide health information so that you can be better informed. It is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used to treatment of any medical conditions.